ohdf message

Subject: Short Helper Snippet on How to request a Leave of Absence

Dear members,

we all will work together in specifying the best ever version of OHDF.
But, we will not do so within a single meeting.

So, during the course of a calendar year we (voting members) may need
to take a time off of OHDF

- without losing our voting status and
- without slowing down progress

The latter can happen because a meeting has to be quorate to conduct any
business within the TC process (for OHDF: more than half of all voting members present).

We can always document purely informative meetings and pool
decisions to the next quorate meeting, but ideally the
business should continue smoothly and in a plannable manner.

Meetings failing to achieve quorum are bad use of everybodies time.

So what is such a "Leave of Absence" at OASIS?

If you need to understand a specific OASIS Defined Term you can always look it up at:

https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/oasis-defined-terms-2018-05-22/

In our case "Leave of Absence":

https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/oasis-defined-terms-2018-05-22/#dLeaveAbsence

"""
r. âLeave of Absenceâ is an approved absence from the work of a Technical Committee
   during which time the memberâs standing in the committee shall be maintained and
   the member shall be free of any participation or other obligations until the time
   of their return.
"""

The TC Process documentation at
https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process-2017-05-26/#leavesAbsence
describes what to do to achieve that state:

"""
1.6 Leave of Absence

Every Voting Member of an OASIS TC may request one Leave of Absence per calendar year.
A Leave of Absence shall not exceed 45 days. Each request shall be made by sending
an email to the TC mailing list before the Leave is to start.

During a Leave of Absence, a Voting Member shall not have voting rights
or participation obligations in the TC or its Subcommittees.
Voting rights shall resume immediately when the Leave ends,
upon any activity (including activity on the TC mailing list) in the TC by the Member,
or earlier if requested by the Member.
"""

In a mail from OASIS administration to the OASIS members mailing list
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/202011/msg00011.html
as of 2020-NOV-30 Chet Ensign listed among other simplifications:

"""
* We shortened and simplified the Leave of Absence policy.
  Now, a first LoA request is considered automatically approved.
"""

*Note*:

Unfortunately there is some confusion with the names of files and their status
when it comes to definition of OASIS terms and the OASIS TC Process document.

The current links lead us for the "Leave of Absence" process section to:

https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process-2017-05-26/#leavesAbsence
(note the date in the path and compare to the top page note on the previous
version being "approved 26 May 2017" ... but the text indeed has been simplified
compared to the prior version at
https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process-2017-05-26/technical-committee-tc-process-26-may-2017-2/#leavesAbsence
no anchor leading to section 1.5 in this case)

Also, the OASIS Defined Terms pages are impacted by confusing path names.

Visiting https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/oasis-defined-terms-2018-05-22/
(as guided by the corresponding link on https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/)
is in fact the version approved on "22 July 2020".

The link text in:
"""
The change was announced in https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/202011/msg00011.html.
"""
is correct while the link is not.

Finally, again here the top of the text provides a link to the "previous"
version approved 22 May 2018 of the definitions as
https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/oasis-defined-terms-2018-05-22/oasis-defined-terms-22-may-2018/

(OASIS administration has been informed and will surely provide more clear navigation in the future).

Next up:

I intend to provide short info snippets (like this) with more specific examples
once we are in command of our GitHub OASIS TC repository.

The upcoming snippets (still per email) in this "series" will be:

- How to register the participation to a "normal" TC meeting
  (those counting towards voting rights)

- How to request Permanent Non-Voting Member status with the TC
  (spoiler alert: a simple mail to the tc mailing list addressing the chairs)

- How to transition from Observer to Member status
  (spoiler alert: leave the TC and join again as member)

- How motions can be conducted per e-mail
  (there are many ways, just listing one way that works)

This mail:

- How to request a Leave of Absence {mail to the list 2023-APR-15}
  https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ohdf/202304/msg00011.html
  (guessing here above :-) )

Previously:

- How to ensure accessibility {mail to the list 2023-APR-03}
  https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ohdf/202304/msg00000.html
  (by using publicly accessible URLs for minutes, issues, etc.)

- Short Helper Snippet on Which motions do **not** require a "second"
  {mail to the list 2023-APR-05}
  https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ohdf/202304/msg00002.html

All the best,
Stefan

Stefan Hagen, Emmetten, Nidwalden, Switzerland.
orcid: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4206-892X
read: https://stefan-hagen.website
write: stefan@hagen.link