Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] MARBUX POINT OF ORDER, OBJECTION, ANDSUGGESTIONS No. 1

Marbux,

Why on earth should the international stand off discussion by Rob of an
ISO/OASIS standard be subjected to the law of the US?

And more, where ever did you get the insane idea that ODF was fixated in
the OO.o codebase? You might not be a software developer, but everything
that can be coded can be coded in a different way. With the source
available and NO patents, there really is nothing that prevents anyone
with some resources to reimplement the complete OO.o codebase (which
would be insane anyway).

But you simply do not need OO.o to implement ODF. If you have a capable
XML format for your own Office package, you can simply map ODF to your
own format (and vice versa) using XSL, and then implement the XSL
transformations into you language of choice.

OO.o is LGPLed and Google, IBM, and Koffice re-implemented it. How this
can be construed to an anti-trust violation is beyond me (but I am not a
lawyer). Especially if you consider that none of the players you name
have anything that can even remotely be considered as market dominance.

But I know nothing is impossible in a US court.

Rob van Son

marbux wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Vic <oasis@beer.org.uk> wrote:
>>> Such difficulties are compounded by the lack of a competent system for
>>> submission, tracking, and processing of  of agenda items, the order in
>>> which they are being processed, a specified format and means of
>>> identification for submission of agenda items.
>> If that's a real objection, I'd be glad to host a tracking system for such
>> submissions.
>>
>> If it's just an excuse for delay, I shall be sorely disappointed...
>
> I think it would make all the difference in the world if Rob exercises
> the leadership the formation notice granted him to bring some order to
> this madness. It isn't an excuse for delay. But if Rob is just going
> to arbitrarily decide what does and does not go into the charter as he
> has been doing, I don't think a tracking system for what he's doing
> beyond the page already set up for that purpose helps anyone else.
>
> I'm thinking about creating a shadow to Rob's proposed charter that
> offers an alternative charter that is actually aimed at achieving
> interoperability and conforming to the law governing interoperability.
> But I'd have to do some thinking about whether I have the stamina to
> help organize a mirror group that agrees on a chairman and sets up a
> far less arbitrary process for decisions-making. I wouldn't want to
> chair it myself. I want to be in an advocacy role on these issues.
>
> I've got the keys to a Drupal 5.x site with no bandwidth concerns,
> linked in my signature. But my Drupal abilities are not yet to where I
> could set it up quickly there myself. If someone with the right skills
> wanted to help, I could give them admin rights to set it up. I'm
> guessing that there probably is at least one existing Drupal module
> that would be suitable for the project admin stuff. If someone has the
> keys to a list server, we could start with a single list to talk about
> what committtes are needed and then set up separate lists for each
> committee, using the original list for coordination issues.
>
> Let me know if you interested in doing it on either your own or on my
> site. In any event, thank you for the offer.
>
> Best regards,.
>
> Paul E. Merrell, J.D. (Marbux)

- --
           Rob van Son