Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Which is definitive odf?

"Sam Johnston" <samj@samj.net> wrote on 06/16/2008 08:20:09 PM:

> The main thing holding me back is my lack of understanding of the
> international standards process, where 1.0 is ISO/IEC 26300:2006,
> but what of 1.1 and 1.2? If ISO status 'flows' from one version to
> another then this is a non issue, and even if it doesn't the
> presumably 1.1 and 1.2 will follow in the footsteps of 1.0.

I don't think ISO status has any relationship to interoperability or conformance.  In fact, the most-commonly used ODF version today is ODF 1.1, which is not an ISO standard.

In the end, I think choosing the ODF version is a "privilege of membership" for those who actually join the proposed TC.  I don't think we can expect for example, that a TC formed mainly of ODF 1.1-supporting implementors and users will want to target ODF 1.2 first.  Similarly, a TC with mainly ODF 1.2 implementors/users represented would not want to target ODF 1.1.  We really need to see the composition of the proposed TC to answer this question.  The work of the TC must be relevant to its members.  Otherwise, why would they invest the time to serve on it?

-Rob