Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Proposed Use case -- Interoperability in vertical and horizontal ODF markets

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 6:42 AM, marbux <marbux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:
>> On Saturday 28. June 2008 19:52:53 marbux wrote:
>> Thats not true, that usecase is only possible by accident. Instead that part
>> was designed for allowing an implementation to have a feature that is not
>> (yet) in ODF.
>

> Wrong according to Gary Edwards. He was on the TC and very active when
> the foreign elements and attributes parts of the conformance section
> were developed. Neither you nor Rob were yet members.
>
> The way Gary tells it over and over is that the foreign elements and
> attributes chunks of the conformance section are a compatibility
> framework developed by interop wizard Phil Boutros of Stellent, which
> markets conversion filters for over 400 file formats and a host of
> apps built atop their conversion filters.
>
> The foreign elements and attributes parts of the conformance section
> were specifically designed for round-tripping documents between apps
> that support ODF and apps that don't via conversions. The *primary*
> barrier the Phase 1 developers of ODF were looking at was as follows:

Yet your not getting it.  Simple fact we have worked something out.
Undocumented sections equals long term problems.   Were is the
documentation to what information should be in there and what should
not be.  ODF applications must be able to process it.  Not be a
magical text it cannot touch.

If its not documented to maintain compatibility between ODF's we have
to delete it.  Someone added a loop hole to the standard now its
dieing on first contact with the TC.   This is to be expected.
Stunts creating loop holes are always the first to die when coming in
contact with a TC.

Either a person steps up and make it standard and full documented how
it works or it dies.

Peter Dolding