Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] ODF version in the charter,was Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

Shawn wrote:
> Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
>> Why do you think so. OASIS TCs operate in the public. ODF
>> specification drafts are publicly available available long before the
>> the specifications get a standard. I therefore see no reason why the
>> OIIC TC could not use them as basis for its work.
>
> -0.9  (thanks for the posting of the Apache process Rob!)
>
> Only real problem I see here is that it would be meaningless for the
> OIIC TC to do its work - creating profiles/atomic tests/etc. for things
> that are likely to change due to something OTHER than the OIIC process.
>  If we say current "official" versions of ODF, we know that version is
> fixed and can look at it in earnest.

I have not suggested that the OIIC should blindly take whatever draft
the ODF TC creates. But during the work on a certain version of the
specification, drafts get more stable. And at a certain point, changes
to drafts are minimal. So I'm very sure that, if the two TCs cooperate,
then it is possible to work with drafts. Working here really means
working. Of cause, the OIIC can not complete a deliverable for lets say
ODF 1.2 until this has become an OASIS Standard or at least a Committee
Specification. But it can already work on such deliverables.

> I'd rather see the work done on the final/official versions.  Any issues
> highlighted by the OIIC process are then under consideration for the
> NEXT version.  In this way, the OIIC becomes a tool for positive
> evolution, rather than a delayed evolution... if that makes sense.
> "Release early, release often" comes to mind here...

We must take the OASIS process into account. It takes at least 5 months
from the time a TC says that a certain deliverable (for instance an ODF
specification) is complete  until the time it gets an OASIS standards.
This does not include the time required to prepare a deliverable. This
does not only limit our ability to release often. It also means that if
you really wait until something is an OASIS standard, then you loose
half a year in which the specification does not change, but where also
no one is working on it.

So, once again, I'm not saying that the OIIC should blindly take every
draft that the ODF TC creates (and vice versa, that the ODF TC should
process any comment that a draft deliverable of the OIIC includes). But
I strongly suggest that the two TCs cooperate in identifying the
specifications which the OIIC takes as basis.

Michael

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten