Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] REOPEN ISSUES 132 and 149: Update to Sanjay's Proposal

Eric,

Why would we want to exclude such a fine document as the Magna Carta from an implementation type specification??
Some medieval Latin is guaranteed to spice up such a dry document as an implementation type description.

Being more serious, the two documents linked from my email do much as you indicate in your email
- they make statements about what MUST be included, what SHOULD be included - and for the material so described,
they state what MUST and what MUST NOT be true about it.
- they don't exclude other material being added (I doubt that such exclusion is necessary) and the main thing is to ensure
the minimum necessary documentation and related materials.  If we have budding artists who wish to add novel-length
extra material, I doubt that it is useful to try to exclude such material - in practice, it will be enough of a burden to supply
what is required.

I hope that the 2 versions of the documents linked below already cover most if not all of what needs to be covered.
I'd be interested in seeing folks comments on them.

From: Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>
To: "Estefan, Jeff A (3100)" <jeffrey.a.estefan@jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: OASIS Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 27/04/2010 18:06

For the two documents in question to be part of the conformance criteria, calling them "templates" seems insufficient.

I expect, rather, that we would treat these documents as "specs about specs".  That is, they should define what an implementation specification MUST include, what it SHOULD include, and what it MUST NOT include (although I'm puzzling over what appropriately fits into the last category - "MUST NOT include the text of the Magna Carta."? ).  Only when a spec satisfies those criteria can someone then turn around and claim that their implementation type is conforming.

Of course, as we discussed on the call today, it is really up to the TC to decide how we approach this problem, but that's my take.  That's why I prefer opening new issues against 1.2.

I still think it is useful to talk to Mary or other OASIS staff to see if this question has arisen before, and how it has been dealt with.

-Eric.