Subject: Re: [search-ws] RE: sru/cql sort

I disagree, there were and are very good reasons to put them together.

There MUST be a query, and that query identifies or describes a result
set.  Sort, as specified in CQL, is a part of that description as it
affects the ordering, in exactly the same way as relevance ranking does
for example.

It makes it more complex to have two parameters, both of which contain
CQL, one of which is mandatory, than to retain the status quo of one
mandatory parameter that can optionally have a sort specification
included in it.

If CQL retains its ability to map prefixes, you would have to do the
mapping twice, once in each parameter.

If CQL is to be used outside of SRU, and it already IS being used
outside of SRU in Jangle for example, then it makes sense to have its
own sort specification rather than requiring every other project to
reinvent it.  If SRU 2.0 doesn't want to use it, then it can split it
off into a second parameter, but the language should retain the ability.

It also closely follows SQL, which most implementations will use
underneath anyway, and is familiar to developers.

(see also for reference:
http://zing.z3950.org/cql/sorting.html
)

I also disagree about facets not being scan, but don't feel strongly
enough about it to argue the point.

Rob