tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] Re: Considerations for TAML Authoring and normalizedString

I don't think NCNames should be allowed for extensions.  NCNames are basic
XML Names (such as element names and attribute names and ID values) having
no colons.  That is, an NCName is an XML Name with no colon.  In a QName, an
NCName by itself is the unqualified case.  The fixed names that we have so
far are (coincidentally) proper restrictions on NCNames.  Allowing custom
extension using the same syntax (NCName) is the problem I thought we were
trying to avoid.

The introduction of RDF/RDFa into a test-assertion is entirely separate from
this.

What we are doing with NCName as the base is not providing an extension
mechanism.  That's certainly a way to end this debate.  I'm just not sure it
is what you intended.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: stephengreenubl@gmail.com [mailto:stephengreenubl@gmail.com] On Behalf
Of Stephen Green
Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2009 13:20
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Cc: TAG TC List

OK, Dennis, I'm conceding and making the base datatype
for custom extensions to the enumerated types NCName,
as now in draft 1.0.0.1
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/35189/testAssertionMarkupL
anguage-1-0-0-1.xsd

I concede that the square bracket and 'ext:' prefix mechanisms
put too much restriction on implementers who might wish to
also implement something akin to RDFa/XHTML in their test
assertions.

It still concerns me that there are few values which would not
be valid codes and there needs to be care to ensure that typos,
etc are somehow picked up where they might not be detected
by the 1.0.0.1 schema. I guess it is an acceptable risk though.

Best regards
---
Stephen D Green

2009/11/14 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>:
> I think we are in clear disagreement on what it means for
> backward-compatibility to start with a super general base type and then
make
> restrictions within it.  For me, normalizedString as a base type for coded
> enumeration-value attributes is inconceivable.
>
> I am prepared to agree to disagree on this one.
>
>  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
>
> Nevertheless, some related observations:
>
> I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "it has some major
> downsides" but I assume you mean "it" as anything but normalizedString.
>
> I don't think normalizedString provides much.  I have difficulty thinking
> this is tighter or more valuable than NCName or QName.  It is also
ambiguous
> on whether white-space is collapsed or not, unless you also specify that
> facet.  (It is also inconceivable to me that having whitespace in these
> codes is desirable at all.)
>
> I see no reason to use normalizedString as the base type of attributes
meant
> to carry coded-value enumerations, extensible or not. (I assume you mean
> normalizedString, and XML Schema derived type, when you say "normative
> string" below.)
>
> Are we really constrained to an XML Editor use-case where intellisense is
> offered or not?  The editors I use support that.  If I was intentionally
> using some extensions, I would use a modified schema as a template for
> editing.
>
> Likewise, if I wanted to constrain my use of conformant items, I would
make
> a constrained version of the schema as a template for editing.  For
> authoring, I might even do something so bizarre as to use a DTD as a
> template (and I am quite prone to doing that).  I don't imagine I would
ever
> edit any TAs that I hadn't authored or that weren't authored with a known,
> customized template.
>
> I think the users and providers of editors should be allowed to come up
with
> solutions.  I don't see why we should provide the artifacts other than a
> schema that is as specific to the specification as e we can make it.
>
>  - Dennis

Behalf