tag message

Subject: Re: [tag] Re: Done - Re: Ready to start next,potential candidate drafts

Hi Stephen and everyone,

      Sorry I haven't had much chance to participate (I think I was last
calling in when we voted to separate the model from the guideline). My
apologies for bringing my comments in late

I had some comments questions on the model. Probably some of these
things should be considered before voting a draft.

1.) Page 6, Section "Normative Statement, ..."
Uses a term "Conformance Target" - is this sufficiently defined?  I
don't see definition or reference to it elsewhere.

2.) Page 10, Implicit Test Assertion Parts
I think the idea of using implicit values is good, especially for things
like Test Assertion Target (where the Target may be the entire spec).
How are the implicit parts qualified?  Would there be some kind of
conformance statement that says something like "when Target is not
specified, assume the testing target is the entire spec"?

3.) Page 11, Convention Used for Formally Defining the Model
     This first paragraph looks like a duplicate of section 1.1 (page
5).  Can this be removed, or shortened to say something like "refer to
section 1.1 in regards to the overloading of "class" and "attribute"

4.) Also page 7
I find the (x..y) notation rather curious.  It looks semantically
similar to elements of Regular expressions (such as '*' and '+').  Why
aren't we using Regular Expression notation?

5.) Pages 13 - 30
Probably this is because all structures are related to a direct
implementation in the style-sheets/schema.
Almost all of these structures have elements which are purely optional
(eg. '(0..1)')  The problem is this means that it is completely valid to
have empty structures.  That is, it is OK to have (for example):

normativeSource { }

There probably should be some kind of nomenclature that prevents this.

6.) page 19, report
'Report' was a new element for me, I had not seen this before.  It's
definition is pretty vague, and I'm wondering if it is too
implementation specific (eg.  describing how TAs should be reported by
some tool, not part of this specification).