Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] ISSUES - DC metadata in html

Hi Suellen,

Glad you brought this to the table.  I was wondering, is the Library of
Congress already using this metadata syntax in their html pages?

I  posted the following for possible use as metadata in Feb, but it has not
been discussed yet. I think that it fits in with what you present here.

I think that this is one use case to think about as we write our
recommendations.

This could be written  in the head of the html page for example:

2002 release of UNSPSC Segment 71
Published Subject Indicators in html">

<!--forces a reloading of a new version for each visit -->

                 content="http://www.eccma.org/unspsc/browse/71.html";>
                 content="http://www.eccma.org";>
                 content="http://www.eccma.org";>
                 content="2002-01-01">
                 scheme="rfc1766"
                 content="en-US">
                 content="Published Subject Indicators of the Public
January 01,2002 Release of UNSPSC Segement 71">
                 content="Nishikawa, Mary">
                 content="Nishikawa, Mary">
                 content="http://purl.org/mnishikawa/unspsc-71.htm";>
                 content="http://purl.org/mnishikawa/unspsc-71.xtm";>

                 content="UNSPSC; Segment 71; ECCMA; Published Subjects;
OASIS; XTM; Topic Maps; EGCI; EGCC; tm-pubsubj; pubsubj">

I think that DC.identifier was intended for one resource. We could add psi
here to denote the indicators in the resource

                         content="http://purl.org/mnishikawa/unspsc-71.htm";
                         psi="http://purl.org/mnishikawa/unspsc-71.html#009026";
                         psi="http://purl.org/mnishikawa/unspsc-71.html#009253";
                         psi="http://purl.org/mnishikawa/unspsc-71.html#013392";
                         psi="http://purl.org/mnishikawa/unspsc-71.html#013401";

or we can add DC. Subject, with the psi as you suggest.

We can recommend which types of metadata are needed at a minimum for
publishing, to establish the identity of the subject.The ones I have
presented above are only an example of how one user might attempt to write
metadata.

These numbers are the unique identifiers that have already been established
by Electronic Code Management Association for the UNSPSC (Unversal Standard
Products and Services codes). The advantage of having the identifiers in
XTM is I can scope these codes as being of type ECCI which are the unique
identifiers.

I have also placed these numbers as named anchors on the html page
http://purl.org/mnishikawa/unspsc-71.htm  so that they can be used as
fragment identifiers from my xtm TM http://purl.org/mnishikawa/unspsc-71.xtm

We can have an example naming convention  http://psi.mydomain.com/ as Steve
suggested or  also show an example using PURL. I don't have my own domain
so I need to use the purl domain for the stability of my PSIs. I think that
we can recommend stability  in the recommendation and for anything specific
notation, say that they are examples.

I think that we can go back and take a look at what Murray proposed in his
"Augmented Metadata in xhtml" However, the link from our documents page is
broken, so I couldn't access the resource. It is really better to have the
metadata inline with the identifier, however,  I worry about the complexity
and resources that it could create; if all the metadata is in the header,
it might be easier.

It would be good to get feedback from DCMI, Network Working Group. See
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt  Encoding Dublin Core Metadata in HTML
( I don't mind contacting them if you want me to.

Cheers,
Mary