Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Vocabulary: will we get rid of "PSI" or not?

Bernard Vatant wrote:
[...]
> > The result of a database query may be a resource describing
> > a subject, and that resource may be a document (in any format or notation), a
> > resource within a document), or perhaps even something else. I'm considering
> > (in the work with PORT) the idea that a small area of a Peircean manuscript as
> > displayed from a TIFF image may be a useful and important subject, and with a
> > suitable tool, could be an addressable subject.
>
> You are certainly right, although I'm always uneasy with having one of those weird
> interminable data base query strings under <subjectIndicatorRef> but it is maybe because I
> am not familiar enough with data bases, so I am basically not trusting that kind of query
> string to be a stable identifier. I'm certainly wrong here, but you only trust what you
> know, basically. After all, is not an URL a kind of query string on the Web data base?

Well, the reiserfs (Reiser file system) is based on a design that's closer
to a database query than a file system based on a mapped sequential addressing
space. My Ph.D. project will have internal Xindice query strings, XPath queries,
as well as "normal" URLs as subject indicators. The XTM topic map of the ITIS
database uses query strings as subject indicators because ITIS is hooked up to
a database available online via that system. I don't see a problem with any of
these "alternate" addressable schemes.

> >I think we all must accept that the world is continually changing.
> > With my move to England I'll be dismantling (actually just not paying the bill)
> > my doctypes.org web site.
>
> That's a pity. Do you have an alternative home for its content?

Once I get there I'll be moving some of the content over to my new
domain, neocortext.net, but the doctypes.org domain will disappear, which
was my point about the transience of web life.

> > With this in mind we can only ask authors/publishers to do what they are able
> > to declare subject indicators that are "likely" to be stable. And to maintain
> > their topic maps, checking for broken links, etc. We can't entirely escape
> > the problems of the web, or the world. The only way would be to not connect
> > with the web or the world, by using URNs, by not interconnecting our topic maps
> > to the rest of that changing, addressable space. I don't think anyone would
> > suggest that here.
>
> Nope. We have to deal with this everchanging world. That's life ...
>
> > But for example, I contacted Doug Lenat and asked him how stable the Cyc HTML
> > pages were as URLs, and he said that they had no plans to change them, and
> > that the next version of Cyc beyond 2.1 would use a different set of web
> > pages. You can often tell by the URL if it's dated or versioned, and then it's
> > a matter of whether or not older versions will stay online. But if Cyc changed
> > its name, merged with Enron, or ended operations, well, yes, these subject
> > indicators would have no documentation. They'd still be suitable subject
> > indicators, but would have no addressable resource as documentation. It behooves
> > me as a PSI author/publisher to make sure any client of mine using my Cyc topic
> > maps has a local (eg. CD-ROM) copy of the Cyc documentation (for example).
>
> When you set a reference geographic beacon, you've better seal it in solid mountain rock,
> but you are not sheltered from continent's drift. Even "fixed" stars are drifting ...
> that's why you need dating and versioning your maps.

Good analogies.

> > > "A Published Subject Indicator is a Subject Definition Resource used as a Subject
> Indicator"
>
> > I get your point but as written it almost sounds like a tautology.
>
> It is one only if you merge publisher's and author's viewpoint. That you can do because
> you are both :))

That and a big yellow tuna fish... and off to bed. Katherine and I have
been swimming at the YMCA almost every night lately, which puts us
both into a muscle stupor by bedtime. We were happy to see that there's
both a YMCA in Milton Keynes as well as a nice local pool...

Murray

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:murray.altheim&#x40;sun.com>
XML Technology Center, Java and XML Software
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

            Corporations do not have human rights, despite the
          altogether too-human opinions of the US Supreme Court.