Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Digest Number 109

Dave Pawson wrote;

>Against which logic I might *like* to write

<assoc type="married">
    <husband>george</husband>
    <wife>Matilda</wife>
</assoc>
At least this tells the story, even if it does disallow a DTD?

>When I replace george (an id value) with baa186abaa, an auto-generated
id value, even this gets ridiculous - and distinctly agin
the precepts of XML ala Tim Bray.

Your example is OK, except for the "silly" rule that the contents of the assoc rule must be locators which is inherited from the fact that we were using HyTime varlinks.

Remember that the assoc type points to a topic that defines what you mean by "married" in your context
The GIs of the assocrls automatically assign roles to the individual IDs. The only need for having a type assigned to the assocrl is if you want to say what you mean by husband and wife (e.g. <husband type="monogomous-marriage-male-partner">. If there is no such topic then you leave it off.

The real question is how this should be expressed in XML, where link entries are handled using href attributes. A much better approach here would be:

<assoc type="married" xlink:type="extended">
    <husband xlink:type="locator" href="mypath[id='George234']" >George</husband>
    <wife xlink:type="locator" href="mypath[id='Matilda123']">Matilda</wife>
</assoc>

Martin

Your family still won't know what you do.  At least they'll know where.
The resources, brainpower & breadth of opportunities at Microsoft are
unmatched. The only question is are you ready for that kind of impact?