Subject: [xtm-wg] Invalid Poll

I'm not sure who came up with the rules for the egroups poll, but it was
invalid and out of order. It did not allow some of us to vote, and
our suggestions were not included in the options. The fact that there may
some technical issues regarding egroups is irrelevant; nobody should ever
use technology as reason for bad process.

[Gad. Whoever thinks egroups is a decent solution for team building should
have their head examined. It is coercive, awkward, exclusionary, requires
giving up privacy, forces advertising in our faces, and half the time
(for me at least) doesn't even work. Sad, given other real options.]

On Monday, the day in which we were discussing this issue, I suggested
"GPS for the Information Universe" which did not apparently show up in
the options for voting. I did not vote in time, as I did not understand
that voting took place solely on egroups. I apparently missed (among the
many messages on this subject) the one telling about the deadline. I thought
my vote was the message I sent into the listserver. You'll note that my name
doesn't show up in the egroups tally.

As Jim Mason has seconded, I wish to include "GPS for an Information
Universe" among the options for this new poll. If egroups cannot alter
the options once a poll has been started, well, too bad for egroups. That
is not a matter of concern to the Authoring Group. I hope we can follow
a better process online than has been conducted during the past few days,
which has been confusing at best. Only the chair of the AG should be able
to create such polls, IMO. Otherwise, where is order?

If it comes down to a 7 day delay vs. making sure this process is fair,
I will vote on the latter.  If this gets further confused, I would ask
that our chairs step in and conduct this poll.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

eGroups eLerts