Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Proposal for Chris Angus to be Invited Guest to XTM Authoring Gro up

Sam wrote:
"A point of clarification: The proposal would seem to contemplate that
there would be considerable modelling work *during* the Paris meeting,
and that therefore the modelling work would not be substantially
complete *before* the Paris meeting. Is that the case?"

Short answer: No that is not the case. The modelling work is already
"substantially complete", and you have already seen it, in the text and
diagrams I submitted as my second draft of the conceptual model description.
You (but not the AG) have also seen my and Graham's analysis of where the
current syntax and Steve's processing model and association template syntax
fall short of what is needed.

Fuller answer:

The problem (as I see it) with what happened between Dallas and Washington,
was that at Dallas we delegated certain people to take responsibility for
the syntax part of the spec, and others to take responsibility for the
conceptual model part of the spec, but we delegated nobody to be responsible
to ensure that harmonisation continued to exist between the two. There was a
considerable amount of communication (or perhaps I should say "attempted
communication") among those delegated to perform various taks in the
preparation of the spec. As the deadline approached the disagreements among
those people, where they existed, did not get resolved, but we had made a
commitment to produce a spec. The result was the "core specification" and
the "review specification".

Now that we are in the "review" period, it is vital that we communicate
adequately, to avoid things continuing to be "confusing" (to use Sam's
term). As I said in my earlier message, I hope to find the time in the next
few days to put down clearly what I want to bring to the attention of the AG
(the editors have already seen and heard most of it already, but at a time
when they were battling against sleep deprivation and looming deadlines, so
discussion about the issues fell somewhat short of the degree of calm
rationality that is to be desired, and many issues remained unresolved).

In summary - no, we do not need to be doing modelling in Paris. The
modelling is already done. We need to communicate that model and ensure that
the syntax (in conjunction with some processing model) is capable of
delivering TM instances that comply with it. If possible, we should also
look at syntax optimisation, but that is not a requirement. The
*requirement* is on sufficient syntactic power, optimised or not, to carry
the information that needs to be carried.

And Sam, you underestimate my age. I remember the Vietnam war very well. I
have no wish to repeat that experience. Nor do I wish Supreme Courts to
decide issues based on party lines. We must understand the issues and make
decisions based on those issues rather than on political considerations or
time deadlines.

Daniel

> The purpose of this message is to formally propose that Chris Angus
> of Shell Services International become an Invited Guest to the XTM
> Authoring Group.

A point of clarification: The proposal would seem to contemplate that
there would be considerable modelling work *during* the Paris meeting,
and that therefore the modelling work would not be substantially
complete *before* the Paris meeting. Is that the case?

Thanks.

S.

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

eGroups eLerts