Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] freelists archives

Everything is completely public, both at doctypes.org and topicmaps.org.

> I've done the proposal and shown that it was technically possible.
> The things got quicker than I thought anyway ...
> I suppose now the "authorities" have to decide if, when and how to proceed.
> Someone have suggested a poll. Maybe it's a good thing to consider.
>
> As for now, the list at freelists is ready when we are.
> I've posted a message on it to say it's in standby and redirecting people
> here at e-groups for the moment.
>
> If decided otherwise, all the stuff will be removed from freelists
> as quickly and easily as it's been put on.

To make this perfectly clear, let me again quote the charter [1]:

  1. Purpose

   [...]
    1.5. Maintain a public archive from which software and information
    relevant to TopicMaps.Org can be obtained through electronic transfer.

  3.6.3. TopicMaps.Org AG Activities

    [...] The work products of the TopicMaps.Org AG, including voting
    summaries, meeting summaries, draft specifications, etc., will be made
    available to the Advisory Members for comment and review and to the
    public at large for review.

  5. XML Topic Maps Specification (XTM)

    5.1. XTM Creation, Rights and Publishing

    [...] XTM shall be published in such a way that it may be used and
    copied by anyone for any purpose, provided that all copies are true
    and complete, and provided that each copy shall bear the copyright
    notice of TopicMaps.Org, [...]

There is of course the possible inconvenience of transferring to a different
list archive, but otherwise I see little reason not to proceed. Other than
changing the name of the list from the "TopicMaps.Org Working Group" to the
"TopicMaps.Org Authoring Group", since Steve seems amenable I think we're
ready. I don't think Michel is against this, just late in catching up on
his email (having just got back into touch recently).

Murray

[1] http://www.topicmaps.org/org/XTM-charter-final-20000610.html
Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu