Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Topic Naming Constraint

Personally, I have some sympathy to the view Kal and Steve express here.
However, I don't think we necessarily have to accept the conclusion that the
topic naming constraint needs to be dropped.

"Topics should be merged if they have the same Subject." I believe that to
be the underlying principle. How do we know whether they have the same
Subject? Sometimes because they have the same Subject Descriptor; sometimes
because they point to the same Resource using their <resourceRef>
subelements, thereby inidicating that that resource is their subject;
sometimes because a human being determines that the Subjects indicated by
their *different* Subject Descriptors are in fact the same.

Does the fact of two <topic> elements having the same <baseNameString> in
the same Scope ensure that they have the same Subject? The answer is "yes"
if the scope is a "controlled vocabulary". The answer is "no" if the scope
is something more vague (Shakespeare's Plays, for example, or even "the
play: The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark" in which there are two
characters called Hamlet, namely the Prince and his dead father).

Interestingly, NewsML deals with this issue explicitly, by recognising a
clear distinction between "FormalName" which must be drawn from a controlled
vocabulary, and "Description" which may have a "Variant" and/or an
"xml:lang" attribute, which is intended for human interpretation and which
need not be unique.

It could be that a later version XTM makes a distinction like that in
NewsML. In the meantime, we have a choice, it seems to me: maintain the
topic naming constraint, and warn people that they have to be rigorous in
their choice of baseNames and treat baseNames, in effect, as controlled
vocabularies (this is the current situation, and is consistent with ISO
13250), or relax the topic naming constraint and bring in a different, more
rigorous construct later.

My preference is to keep the constraint in, and to explain clearly that it
exists. This will also help to explain the odd term "baseName". It is not
just any name. It is a very special name, to which specific constraints
apply. We could however add a special kinds of occurrence, that are inline
resources (their content being in the <resourceData> subelement of
<occurrence>), and with <instanceOf> subelements pointing to public subject
called "Description" or "Name". Applications could choose to display the
(necessarily unique) baseName, or the (not necessarily unique) Name
occurrence accompanied by the description occurrence that serves to
distinguish topics that have the same Name.

Daniel