Subject: [xtm-wg] Bernard's comments

At 10:05 07/02/01 +0100, Bernard Vatant wrote:
>I have suggested in a previous post to get rid to any reference to
>"real-world" in the specification.
>Steve P. asked me (in a private answer) if I had some alternative
>proposition.
>I'm glad to be able to answer : yes, I have some :o)

Thanks, Bernard. We have cleaned up the use of real-world, and there
is now only one mention left, in the very informal introduction to
Section 2, Concepts.

On some of your other points:

We stand by the assertion that the only way it is possible to say
*anything at all* in a topic map is by creating a topic and then
assigning characteristics to it. You state that creating an
association is also a way to "say something", and you are right:
But creating an association involves assigning characteristics
to topics (i.e. the role they play in those associations). So we
think we can keep the formulation.

You also question the parenthesis in "A member is a topic (or set
of topics) that plays a particular role..." It is possible for
more than one topic to play the same role, and this is expressed
syntactically as a single <member> element. So, again, we think
this is OK.

Your other points have been duly noted. Thanks.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Technology Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details