Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A modest motion for approval and vote

I am now able to say that voting is closed and the motion has passed rather
handily.  Many thanks for the votes.  Whoever is in charge of the web site
and publications is now instructed to display all names of editors on the
front page of XTM 1.0.

How that may be done is the subject of some discussion.  I suggested Editors
Emeritus, but that was criticized for a variety of reasons.  I leave the
precise details of how to display the names of editors open to group
decision.

In any case, it is the implied intent of this motion that the names be
restored asap.

Jack Park

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>
To: <xtm-wg@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 4:07 PM

> At 18:20 11/03/01 -0500, Jack Park wrote:
> >Motion:
> >Return the names of the original editors of the XTM documents to the
front
> >page to be displayed along with the current editors. Do so for all web
and
> >print publications.
>
> Life is too short to vote anything but 'yes' on this motion,
> even though I would have liked to find a more appropriate way
> of honouring Steve and Michel.
>
> Some of you youngsters lurking out there may not know this, so
> pay close attention...
>
> - Without Steve Newcomb and Michel Biezunski, there would be no
> topic maps.
>
> I repeat: no topic maps. The two of them invented the paradigm
> almost single-handedly and nurtured it for nearly a decade.
> Today, their vision is set to revolutionize the way we manage
> information and knowledge. That is an incredible achievement
> and nothing will ever diminish its value. We should recognize
> that contribution and stand in awe of it.
>
> Steve and Michel may sometimes do things that surprise us,
> such as resigning from XTM. (Actually, neither of them are
> speaking to me at the moment, which is a new and painful
> experience for someone who insists on considering them as
> friends.) But we have to remember that Steve's a Newcomb, and
> Michel's French ... which is to say that both are men of great
> passion, in addition to having total intellectual honesty AND
> the courage of their convictions to boot.
>
> (This is not the place to dwell on their more human aspects,
> but be assured that they do have some.)
>
> I hope they will one day realize that no-one wants to take
> away their baby; it's the baby that wants to be allowed to
> grow up. In the meantime we should all bear in mind that,
> without them, we wouldn't even *be* here as part of a movement
> whose importance puts our bickering in a rather comical light,
> to say the least.
>
> I would like to propose that TM.Org formally bestow the title
> of "Inventors of Topic Mapping" on the pair of them.
>
> Steve
>
> P.S. Steve, Michel! Come back to XTM! You are sorely missed.
> There is a big, gaping hole where your vision ought to be...
>
> --
> Steve Pepper, Chief Technology Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
> Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)
> Ontopia AS, Maridalsveien 99B, N-0461 Oslo, Norway.
> http://www.ontopia.net/ phone: +47-22805465 GSM: +47-90827246

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
immediately.

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2cW4jC/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM