Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

Lars wrote:
> * Nikita Ogievetsky
> |
> | My point is that PM should tell you
> | WHAT should happen, not HOW it should happen.
>
> Agreed.
>
> | It should not try to explain the second "=>" (arrow) in the graph
bellow.
> | Syntax => PM => Application Specific Representation (ASR)
>
> Agreed again.
>
> | And your responsibility as a developer
> | is to ensure that your software can safely travel this round trip
> | and return to some Syntax':
> |
> | Syntax => PM => ASR =>PM => Syntax'
> |
> | Where Syntax and Syntax' are not necessarily the same
> | but the constraint is that given any other conformant ASR",
> | both Syntax and Syntax' should be serialized to the same Syntax".
> |
> | Syntax => PM => ASR" =>PM => Syntax"
> | Syntax' => PM => ASR" =>PM => Syntax"
>
> Agreed yet again.
>
> | Wow!
> | This looks like a beginning of a processing algebra to me :-)
>
> Looks like common sense to me. :-)
>
> | May be we should introduce a notion of "Universal ASR" ?
> | And may be this is what actually Lars have in mind when referring to PM.
>
> It is, in the sense that I think the PM should be the requirements on
> all ASRs and how they are built from XTM documents.

Great!
I guess that all of the following should be described:

- PM which can be in a classical graph notation.
- ASR (which probably can be expressed as infoset? )
- CM
- Syntax
and mappings between them:

PM  --  ASR
 |           |
CM -- Syntax

--Nikita.

Nikita Ogievetsky               Cogitech Inc
XML/XSLT/XLink/TopicMaps   Consultant
nogievet@cogx.com   --   (917) 406-8734
http://www.cogx.com     Cogito Ergo XML

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EVNB7A/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM