Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

Lars wrote:

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> | I guess you have to explain why you want _both_ a PM-graph and an ASR.
>
> * Nikita Ogievetsky
> |
> | I doubt that we can have any good UASR specification without PM.
> | PM shell serve as the guideline and a "reference-point" for UASR.
> | Without agreeing on PM we will never agree on UASR.
>
> Hmmm. We may be talking past one another here: I intended the UASR to
> also include mappings to and from the syntax. Given that, what about
> the PM is it that makes it needed for a good UASR, and why would it be
> difficult to agree on the UASR without the PM? (I just don't
> understand this at all.)
>
> As far as I can tell, the PM and UASR would describe so very nearly
> the same thing that there would be substantial chances of them
> contradicting each other. In my opinion that should be avoided.

See my previous e-mail.

> | I also think that PM should be a graph and that it should be based on
> | Steve's and Michel's http://www.topicmaps.net/pmtm4.htm
>
> Why?

Because it is a substantial and profound work that
has been already done. I find it answering all the questions
that PM should be answering.

As Sam, I still do not understand what causes your repulse:
prose it is written in, the concept or ...?

--Nikita.

Nikita Ogievetsky               Cogitech Inc
XML/XSLT/XLink/TopicMaps   Consultant
nogievet@cogx.com   --   (917) 406-8734
http://www.cogx.com     Cogito Ergo XML

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM