Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] language.xtm

I do not think it makes sense to create a PSI for each item in a vocabulary
like the ISO country codes. What *does* make sense, however, is to create a
PSI for the ISO standard itself, then to create a topic for each language
you are interested in, giving it a baseName equal to its ISO language code,
scoped on the topic that is the ISO standard. This for me is one powerful
paradigm for appropriate use of baseNames. You use a baseName that is a term
in a controlled vocabulary, scoped on the vocabulary. This baseName is
guaranteed unique in that scope, because the scope is a controlled
vocabulary, and the organisation that controls it (in this case ISO) can be
trusted to ensure that no two things are given the same name in that
vocabulary. Thus the topic naming constraint applies appropriately. Any two
topics that are given that baseName in that scope will indeed have the same
subject, namely the language (or whatever else it might be) that has that
name within that vocabulary. The same approach works for country codes etc.

As for dates and time periods, which have the subject of some interesting
discussion, it would be perfectly possible to have a topic whose basename is
"20010315" in the scope of a topic whose subject is ISO 8601. The subject of
this topic would be 15 March 2001.

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Marius Garshol [mailto:larsga@garshol.priv.no]
Sent: 07 March 2001 17:44
To: xtm-wg@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [xtm-wg] language.xtm

I just noticed that the language.xtm topic map that is part of XTM 1.0
only contains the languages that have 2-letter codes in ISO 639. This,
however, is far from all the languages to which codes are assigned in
ISO 639. In fact, the majority only have 3-letter codes.

I am at the moment updating a topic map that has topics for languages
like Konkani, Khasi, Rajasthani, Manipuri and many more, which only
have ISO 639 codes, and so no topics in the language.xtm topic map.

The question is: what should I do? Create my own PSIs for these? The
problem is that lots of other people will be bound to do the same.  Or
is there still time to extend language.xtm? It is, after all, in beta
stage.

--Lars M.

Find software faster. Search more than 20,000
software solutions on KnowledgeStorm. Register
now and get started.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ee3V2C/RNSCAA/2h4EAA/2n6YlB/TM