Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] An Approach to the Semantic Web

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Danny Ayers
> |
> | I'm not yet very familiar with topic maps, are you saying that there are
> | tools already available for XTM for discovering topics and adding
> | associations?
>
> * H. Holger Rath
> |
> | empolis implemented its draft of the Topic Map Querly Language TMQL
> | in its XTM product k42.  Even more powerful is the JAVA API of the
> | engine - it provides read/write/update access to the complete TM on
> | the conceptual level of XTM.
>
> But, Holger, isn't this just half of what Danny asks for? He would
> have to write the code that reads his input data (whatever that may
> be) and creates topics and associations from those data, wouldn't he?

Sorry, I did not read the text carefully enough and interpret in
a way that the TM is already existing.

TM generation from any kind of resource is really a challenge.
It is even more challenging than getting word processing formats
into nicely structured XML. Why? Because generating TMs is
about detecting "knowledge" in data/information.

Two approaches are promissing and could be somehow
generalized:

-	Use linguistics software on text documents
	and live with the uncertainties and quality
	lacks this approach has.
-	Map XML (SGML) structures to TM constructs
	(could be used in conjunction with the
	linguistics stuff to find e.g. assocs).
-	Use intelligent mapping between relational
	data in RDBs and TM constructs.

Everything else will be hard to generalize because it
highly depends on the quality of the input data.

I liked the idea Kal and SteveP presented in Austin
in their Tutorial. Kal described a way to use a
fixed in between DTD which is the target format
of a first "conversion" step. For this DTD he provided
a tool set to do the flexibble mapping into a TM.
It is similar to the Rainbow idea EBT offered a
couple of years ago to convert from various
text formats into SGML.

--Holger

--
Dr. H. Holger Rath <holger.rath@empolis.com>