Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Fixing language.xtm and country.xtm

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Why not publish them right now, so that we can discuss them and get
| this out of the way?

* Sam Hunting

| Murray gave several reasons -- thread creep seems to have caused them
| to omitted from your posting.

I responded to the reasons I saw. If I've missed any, feel free to
point them out.

The core of what I was trying to say was that we don't need to have
the process in place in order to do the work, nor do we need to spend
a lot of time on this. It's just a matter of weeding out the problems
with the existing PSI sets and getting agreement on them.

| IMSHO it makes sense to wait for the Oasis transition before doing
| any serious technical work.

If you mean things like creating new PSI sets I fully agree. This is
something else, though; it is just simple bugfixing. We know what the
problems are, we know what the fixes are, and if we can get an
informal consensus on the fixes nothing more is needed.

| From the standpoint of the community, I don't see any rush.

I discovered this morning that Steve's Opera topic map and my Scripts
and languages topic map wouldn't merge correctly, because we'd used
different forms of the subject indicators in our topic maps.

There are actually quite a few people out there right now making topic
maps, and they are likely to get this wrong until we fix these
problems. The longer we wait the worse it will get. What reason is
there to wait?

--Lars M.