Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Fixing language.xtm and country.xtm

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Murray Altheim
> |
> | As Nikita, Sam and I have been trying to state, and either you're
> | not listening or you simply disagree, there is *no* organization or
> | organizational structure that would allow us to have useful and
> | productive work that resulted in a stable document.
>
> I simply disagree. We don't need the organization to do the work, or
> even to publish the results, though of course we should publish the
> results through TopicMaps.Org.

We don't have any right to publish the results on TopicMaps.Org. Absent
any organizational approval to changes to the existing charter that would
allow for the publication of working drafts and other documents, any
posting of documents on the TopicMaps.Org web site would be contrary to
the charter. Both Steve Pepper and I have the access to the site, but
neither he nor I have any right to make changes to it without the approval
of a group that right now cannot achieve working quorum. I won't abuse
my ability to make changes to the site. When the group is reconvened, I
hope one of our first work items is to approve a document approval and
publication process, something that lets TC members post unapproved documents
in some directory on the web site. We don't have that right now.

If this were a spec relating to XTM rather than XTM itself, I'd have no
problem posting it to my web site (as I've done in the past with other
work). But what you're asking for is the public work and publication of
an errata for parts of XTM that were agreed upon by the TopicMaps.Org AG.

If you don't think we need an organization (or by extension, any consensus)
then go ahead and post your versions on your web site. You'll have the
same level of consensus as I would, which is pretty much zero. You may
consider this an overly bureaucratic approach, but I simply don't believe
in abusing the trust of people I hope to be working with come August.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu