Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] xtm.xml in IE

[Nikita Ogievetsky]

> I reported this to MS last December,
> they sort of acknowledged this bug in MSXML (that ships with IE 5)
> and recommended installing MSXML3 in replace mode.
>
> Now IE6 ships with MSXML3.
> It does open XTM files that have XTM namespace explicitly declared.
> For example, http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/core.xtm or
> ISO topic maps that I converted to XTM
> (i.e. Kal's music topic map:
> http://www.cogx.com/xslt4tm2xtm/music-xtm.xml)
>
> It gives the following message when XTM namespace is
> not declared explicitly in the document:
>
> Use of default namespace declaration attribute in DTD not supported. Line
3,
> Position 54

Yea, verily, Nikita speaks the  truth.  There is no point in doing
***anything*** xml-ish with Internet Explorer unless you have installed
msxml3.dll in "replace" mode.  And for anyone thinking about trying out
msxml4, remember that you ***cannot** use it in "replace" mode (well,
someone figured out how but it's pretty tricky and involves serious hacking
in the registry), so you could write code against it but IE won't use it by
default.

Cheers,

Tom P