Subject: [topicmaps-comment] Everchanging subjects [ Notions haveexistence ...]

Thomas said
"Do you think that machine processing will be/should be/has to be
very different in its essence from human use of the same topic maps?"

I think of necessity that human *use* of a _given data structure_, topic
maps in this case, will be more sophisticated than the *use* of the same ds
by a computer. This is true because (except for possibly severely retarded
people) most people bring the sophistication of situated activity to bear on
use of TMs , and they would just as much if they were shovelling dirt
instead. Humans are INTEGRATED in the use of their mental powers, they are
"conceptually organic" as it were, they use ganzfeld, they make/use context.
The computer, on the other hand, in most cases: THERE'S NO ONE HOME
there!!!! helllooooo!!!!!! computers are not organic, not self-integrated,
they do not natively process as though through a ganzfeld, they do not
natively make and use contexts, and especially not situated ones.  This last
thing is exactly why Im trying to get people to realize!, that "mechanical"
robot-brain type programs ARE CLUED OUT. Example, factory robot control
programs have to specially programmed by humans so as to do something smart
when their gripper drops something by accident. If the human forgot to
explain in the program how to do that the factory robot just continues, only
assinignly with nothing in its gripper as though nothing happened. I ve been
on factory robot floors Ive seen this happen. That kind of stupid behaviour,
not recognizing that something nonroutine must be done when you (the robot)
drop something during the assembly process. because nobody is home the robot
behaves stupidly, vapidly. Its computer doesnot have any situatedness!! it
isnt even working in a context.
if socalled knowledge technology software operates with the same bareness,
lack of situatedness/context then it will be just as vapid.
I also caution that the business world already got a load from the expert
systems companies who overhyped their products in the mid 70s to mid 80s.
There was a "financial nuclear winter" in AI following what those folks did
with their bogus claims of knowledge systems. We in the world of knowledge
technology cannot afford (financially) to have the semantic web turn out to
appear to be a pig in the poke, because the knowledge technology software is
just too conservative, too IT-like (inorganic, non ganzfeld, non tacit, not
situated, not contextual).

been there, dont want to play in that game again.

the difference between agents (such as humans or programs) doing organic
perception and agents doing inorganic perception is major, it is the
difference between what a person brings to bear using a topic map and what
nematode brings to the same topic map "usage". Only a pointy headed
programming-only immersed person cant see things like tacitness and
metaphorical/analogical activity accompany human activity and just aint
there at all in business-programming-headed software.

look at the difference between Sony's robot dog and a real dog (chihuahuas
are excluded because they are rodents not real dogs :) )

David Dodds