Subject: RE: [topicmaps-comment] occurences and modeling resources

At 15:09 18/12/2001 -0500, Howard Goldberg wrote:

> [...]

Although you could do this, I have a suspicion that it is not modelling
what you expect it to model. In the example immediately above, you are
asserting that the two occurrences are indicators of the same subject. I
suspect that what you want to do is actually to reify the *resource* and
not the occurrence(s). If this is the case, then you can simply use the
resource URL as the subject indicator of the reifying topic and you are
done - the topic will "automatically" reify that resource independently of
the topics of which it is an occurrence.

So, here are three possible modelling options, each of which has a
different end-result:

1) If you want to name a resource or add meta-data to a resource, or make
any other assertion about that specific resource in your topic map, reify
the resource itself, by creating a topic which specifies the resource URL
as its <subject>.

2) If you want to make an assertion about the subject described by a
resource, reify the subject of the resource by creation a topic which
specifies the resource URL as one of its <subjectIndicator>'s

3) If you want to make some assertions about a specific topic-to-resource
relationship, reify the occurrence 'subject', by creating a topic which
specifies the URL of the <occurrence> element as one of it's
<subjectIndicator>'s

Cheers,

Kal