Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] mergeMap Pointing to More ThanOnetopicMapElement

* W. Eliot Kimber

| How can you disallow it when the spec uses xlink:href? Doesn't that
| implicitly import all the semantics of XLink?

I guess it does (otherwise there's precious little point,) but
supporting XPointer really is a major pain. In fact, it is such a
major pain that I am willing to go to great lengths to be rid of it.

XLink is pretty clear that XPointer syntax is to be used to refer into
XML resources, but I find that difficult to accept here. I think the
right thing to do here is simply to disallow it, and XLink be damned.

| Besides, I don't buy the "I need a DOM" answer--you could certainly
| do XPointer resolution in a non-DOM context, although it might be a
| bit more work :-)

A bit more work, huh? :)

Compared to the benefit the additional work is IMHO outrageous. For
<mergeMap> it's just bad, but for <topicRef> it is just absolutely
unacceptable.

All this IMHO, of course.