trans-ws message

Subject: Re: [trans-ws] Specfification text re taxonomies

Hi Stephen,

Thank you very much for the information. It certainly looks as if the
www.unece.org schemas are a prime candidate for use, in that they are
already accessible and (hopefully) unece will maintain the lists. As you
say the schemas are similar, but not identical. In addition we supply
the English country names, which makes use of the code list easier and
clearer to understand.

I have no strong feelings about this and I can see great benefit from
using the unece lists. We have adopted the UBL template for validation
list schemas based on the UBL TC recommendations. These involved a lot
of time and discussion within the UBL TC and so were well thought out
and fully justified.

I think that there are two things that we can do in view of the above:

1) Contact the UBL TC and request their guidance.
2) Get in touch with unece re Language Codes.

It may be that the UBL and unece schemas can be unified, which would be
the best of both worlds.

I will ask Mavis Cournane on behalf of the UBL TC for her advice on
these issues.

Best Regards,

AZ