ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: Non-proprietary vs. no-cost

Hi Ken,

well the short answer is that anything your firm cranesoftwrights produces, will
be seen as proprietory by others. Whether you charge money for it or not won't
change this fact.

Also, there are a lot of companies that develop open source proprietory
solutions. Thousands... They own the IP and programmmers build it with their
input.

So you can have an "open-source" UBL rendering engine that is proprietory to
cranesoftwrights. And lot's of people work on it. That's kind of what it looks
like you are trying to do.

Consider Adobe, who have a proprietory implementation of Acrobat Reader, but
make it available for free. They have an upgrade path. The point is that their
solution is an excellent one, far better than anything that is "free".

Anyway, these are just some simple things to think about.

Best Regards

David