ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Consignee <> DestinationParty

I will try and put the historical perspective on the discussions that led to the current UBL 1.0 model.

There was an 'Order->ConsigneeParty' in UBL 0p66.  By UBL 0p70 this had been dropped.  This was a direct result of feedback from the 0p66 review.  The comments we received ran along the lines of...
a. location of delivery may not be the same as location of ultimate consignee.
b. a location is an address, a party is a business entity - there are many possible combinations of party and address.
and
c. we were using the term consigee and consignor too loosely and it could be mis-interpreted.

Our solution was to assume a situation where the buyer party was the ultimate consignee and the seller party was the orignal consignor.  Any other contexts would require customizations.  This is stated (not terribly clearly) in the scope statement for UBL 1.0 as ...

The Order may specify delivery terms, while the Order Line may provide instructions for delivery.

Juha is correct that 'Order->OrderLine->LineItem->DestinationParty' is the way to associate alternative parties (and their addresses) with individual line items. Ken is correct that 'Order->Delivery->DeliveryAddress' allows for alternative locations for delivering the whole order.

As always, these decisions are open to debate.  UBL 1.0 was developed based on the 80/20 rule  - its just that sometimes one person's 80% is not the same as someone elses!

It is probably a good time to mention that all these discussions are documented in the UBL Library Content archives at...

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-lcsc/

Kenneth Gray wrote:
I too have wondered why UBL doesn't have a DestinationParty at the level
of the order.  It is unreasonable to expect that simple orders where all
lines are for delivery to the same 3rd party should have to duplicate this
information on each line.  It makes processing of the order unnecessarily
complicated.  I thought about using the '/po:Order/cac:Delivery'.  It
includes a DeliveryAddress, but unfortunately not a name. Hmmm!

I wasn't able to find your 'Order->Consignee' in UBL Op70 though  -  could
it have been in an even earlier verson?  I do know that the Danish UBL
adaptation, which is currently based on Op70, has defined a
DestinationParty at the order level, so others have also seen this as a
requirement.  It would be nice to have an explanation, especially if it
has existed in an earlier version. Is there a UBL insider who knows the
history of this one?

While on the subject of really-useful-things-missing-from-UBL  (and yes, I
know it's a bit late to complain 2 weeks before it gets finalized),  but I
could really use some means of distinguishing between different types of
orders, for example,  orders for samples, or blanket orders.  Perhaps an
OrderTypeCode would be appropriate, just as the Invoice has an
InvoiceTypeCode ?  These different order variations typically need to be
created as different types in the application system because completely
different processing rules apply.

Ken Gray
IT Integration Architect
Coloplast A/S