ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL and a functional SQL schema

i agree that tools such as you describe are useful - if you do not have
a logical model already provided.  it seems rather inelegant to go from
a logical model  to XML schemas then from XML schemas to SQL schemas.

what i was suggesting is that if your business requirement is to
understand the information in a UBL document (and not just store it as
BLOBs) and you want to create a relational database to do so you don't
need to re-engineer the XML schemas.  there are relational UML models
and hierarchical assembly models in spreadsheet and UML form that
describe the logical model behind the schemas.

of course, in whatever expression we give them, these are not simple
models.  the reason they are complex is that the procurement business
process is complex and therefore there are complex business rules about
the information used. not much we can do about that.

--
regards
tim mcgrath

DOCUMENT ENGINEERING: Analyzing and Designing Documents for Business Informatics and Web Services
(coming soon from MIT Press)
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=632C40AB-4E94-4930-A94E-22FF8CA5641F&ttype=2&tid=10476