ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] SBS and Restricted Data Types

At 2006-05-04 10:42 -0400, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>Yes, one has to provide a developer (or auto-generation tool) with both
>subset definition and the parent schemas. My guess is (not having
>examined it in detail recently) one has to do this anyway, unless there
>is reason to
>combine all the schema information into the subset definition   :-(
>
>[JMC] Comment on both responses above, and speaking only for W3C Schema:
>Given that W3C Schema already has features such as extension and
>redefine that are supported by many tools today, at what point does the
>"methodology extension" referred to above begin to re-invent what W3C
>Schema already allows?

Because (1) the objective of the subset is not to create another
schema ... applications still have to accept and validate a complete
UBL instance according to the normative UBL W3C Schema expressions,
and they will have to generate instances that validate against the
normative W3C Schema constraints ... the subset only describes how
much of instances described by the W3C Schema constraints are
considered meaningful to trading partners such that the recipient
knows it can safely ignore anything received beyond the subset and
the sender knows that restrict everything to within the subset and
both consider themselves "conforming" to the use of the subset.

And (2) I'm not convinced the W3C Schema features of extension and
redefine successfully describe the constraints ... I believe they
have to be re-expressed from scratch in order to be successful ... I
would be pleased to be shown by someone that I am wrong in this, but
for the life of me I cannot get a processor to successfully interpret
my attempts at using the schema language to effect the desired results.

>There is also the mention of "more granular,
>tighter subsets and a schema extension for such definitions" - knowing
>the issues folks have with W3C Schema, what is so lacking about W3C
>Schema (a ratified standard for 5 years now) that warrants potentially
>reinventing the wheel here? (continued below - breaking for
>readability:)

Again, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel ... we are merely
cataloguing a subset of information items from a sacrosanct schema
expression as a documentary artefact for use by implementers.

We are not trying to impose a new set of schemas ... that would be
inappropriate from the perspective of UBL interchange ... *all* UBL
messages can be interchanged, the subset merely defines what portion
of those instances are meaningful in a given scenario.

>[JMC] If all one really needs to do is restrict data types using
>constraining facets, and add additional elements not currently
>supported, this can be done with W3C Schema. What am I missing here?

I guess *I'm* the one missing things here ... if I found it necessary
(behind the scenes, not for interchange) to create a W3C Schema using
redefine (there are no hooks for substitution), I cannot achieve the
desired results using "ratified standard for 5 years now W3C Schema"
... can you?  Can anyone show me how it would be done?  I've learned
that MSV is non-conformant in this area and Xerces (considered
conformant) reports multiple type definition errors for the
redefines.  Though I am not, personally, in need of a W3C Schema
artefact matching the SBS subset, I do not believe one can be created
by using the standardized facilities and the sacrosanct UBL schema
expressions.  I believe it has to be created independently and
without use of redefine, thus creating a whole new set of schemas,
which we most assuredly are not empowered to do since we are not
changing the definition of UBL.

But that is moot ... we are defining a catalogue of information items
from a set defined by a given set of schemas, we are not defining a
new class of documents for interchange by describing new schema constraints.

>What is the benefit of using SBS over such an approach? Please educate
>me, as I want to learn.:)

And I want everyone to understand why the SBS exists "over such an
approach":  BECAUSE IT DOES SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

The SBS does not attempt to describe constraints on a document used
for interchange.  The UBL specification defines the W3C Schema
constraints on a document for interchange and the SBS DOESN'T CHANGE
THAT (NOR SHOULD IT).  The SBS merely documents which information
items in the instances described by the normative schemas are to be
considered meaningful between trading partners in a given scenario
... in this case, the scenario of small business interests.

If people want to take the SBS description and synthesize for their
own behind-the-scenes implementation issues any set of constraints
(including W3C Schema, or RELAX-NG Schema, or whatever), they are
welcome to do so PROVIDED THEY DON'T CONSTRAIN THE INTERCHANGE OF UBL
INSTANCES by improperly rejecting a valid UBL instance BECAUSE THE
SBS DOESN'T CHANGE THE DEFINITION OF A VALID UBL INSTANCE.

Sorry for the shouting ... I just wanted to make sure everyone can hear. :{)}

I thought this had been said before ... yet everyone seems fixated on
W3C Schema expressions when we are not trying to change or to define
any W3C Schema expressions, nor should we as that is not an expressed
or required objective or deliverable or artefact of the SBS to
achieve the goal of describing a catalogue of information items.

I hope this helps.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04