ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] looking for practical examples

Good, solid arguments on the XML side of things, as always, from Ken.

I'm not completely convinced though that UBL is the ideal tool for the
job in hand with this stock tracking system. I do agree with Ken that the
use of UBL lends itself to business objects internal in a system but I kind
of favour others' opinions too that UBL is not designed for business objects
like that. It isn't a database schema but a message/document schema -
in fact its purpose might be considered to be more legal than technical.
I'd just caution a little wariness in using UBL to design a schema for the
internal use of a system: Maybe it will help, if you have to create a UBL
document from that same schema, if the internal system uses classes or
tables or the like (business objects) based on UBL structures but I remember
Tim McGrath emphasising that it is not normalised for this purpose. So it
might be that the issue about whether conformance to the UBL schema is
beneficial enough for the cost of implementation is only disputable here
because the aim is not to produce a UBL document but an internal business
object. In fact, to make a business object for stock tracking the only major
value you might glean from UBL's Catalogue document might be to list the
possible ingredients of the business object, with little if anything at all to
be gained from basing the business object structure on the UBL structure.

On the other hand I do have sympathy for Ken's proposal that basing the
business object on XML conforming to the UBL schema will add some value.
I just think that that value might not be so obvious or so great when no actual
document output or input is immediately envisiaged (at this stage). The
compromise which is most obvious here is to give latitude in the creation of
the business objects (i.e. allow practical database or class structure design
issues to take priority over UBL schema conformance/validity when creating
the business objects, database tables, etc) in such a way that documents
conforming to UBL can still be created by transformation later if necessary.
This would just mean making provision for the list of things and cardinalities
of things in the UBL Catalogue, like one SKU per Item type and many Item
Instances per Item and so on. Pretty obvious for the most part. I would tend
to think there isn't much danger of creating a set of business objects which
wouldn't support creation of a UBL Catalogue from them if ever necessary.
So UBL just provides an entry-level indicator that you have thought of all the
bits and pieces the tracker needs. Following this line of thought leads to the
conclusion that regarding the quantity in stock, there may be no value in
following the UBL extension mechanism to add such items: Just put them
where seems obvious in the business objects and remove them if there is
ever the need to create a UBL 2.0 Catalogue document.

Maybe this is missing the pointt somewhat though. If so I do apologise.

All the best

- Steve