ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Candidate approach for W3C Schema with wild cards for code list value validation

At 2005-08-11 22:47 +0100, Anthony B. Coates wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:42:33 +0100, G. Ken Holman
><gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com> wrote:
>
>>I then created "maindoc\CL-Invoice-1.0.xsd" which allows anything
>>anywhere, but with lax validation, so that if any other declarations are
>>present, those are validated.  That imports:
>
>Using the 'oXygen' editor, which uses the Xerces-J Schema validator, the
>following errors are reported for your Schema:

I've just run the Saxon validator and it agrees with Xerces.

I've been working with multiple combinations and permutations and I
keep getting caught by multiple imports with differing global declarations.

It seems that Sun MSV is the only processor where my proposed scheme
works, and that appears to be because of non-conformance with the
specifications by MSV.  What seemed intuitive to me is not supported
by W3C Schema.

>In terms of whether one should trust Xerces-J versus XSV, I believe the
>W3C Schema WG themselves currently consider Xerces to be the most correct
>Schema validator available.  It is certainly the most widely used Java
>validator.

I would only accept Xerces's results if they were mimicked by another
processor.  I do not feel that "widely used" trumps "non-conformant"
for a given processor.

So, as the schema fragments are written today, I can't get around the
issue.  It would appear that the first import for a namespace does
not override subsequent imports for the same namespace, but
(horrors!) they must all be identical, thus precluding the override I
was trying to do.

We could, however, write the schema fragments in a way that the
lowest-level fragment is a placebo that is replaced with the values
desired.  Consider the ZIP file:

  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/14072/codelist-xsd-gkholman-20050816-1850z.zip

In this test, the codelist/CL-CodeList-CurrencyCode-1.0.xsd is
alternatively codelist/CL-CodeList-CurrencyCode-Raw-1.0.xsd
(normalizedString) and codelist/CL-CodeList-CurrencyCode-Full-1.0.xsd
(enumeration).

I do not *like* replacing placebo files with other definitions and
would rather work with the XSD files untouched, but it would seem W3C
Schema technology does not allow that import flexibility.

I will now focus my time on Schematron since W3C Schema is holding me back.

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc