ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Definitions of the Name element

Could I just 'chip in' on this. If it is as it seems that the
Name is to be used for the type of document when it comes to
the Waybill, then I would agree with Jon that Name should be
on every document for this purpose since even invoice needs
to state an invoice type and invoice type code is only useful
when there is an agreed set of codes to use to cover all
possibilities. For anything not coded there would be value in
having a Text-based BBIE, in my opinion.

This leaves the problem - what about Catalogue for which the
Name seems to have a separate purpose - the Name of the
document instance rather than the document type (e.g. 'Winter
Clothes Range' rather than 'Price List' or 'Collection').

What this leads to in my view is a need for two BBIEs instead
of one. The first is something based on Text which covers the
type of the document ('Sales Invoice', 'Sea Waybill', etc) and
I would think it should be qualified, not just 'Name', perhaps
for consistency with InvoiceTypeCode it should be (on every
type of document) 'DocumentType'. This would leave the possibility
that certain (not all) documents *also* have the BBIE 'Name' for
the other use of a text-based BBIE - especially for Catalogue
to allow the text names 'Winter Fashion Collection', etc.

--
Stephen D. Green

Partner
SystML, http://www.systml.co.uk