ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Definitions of the Name element

as roberto noted there are different uses for document names and types.

the common names used for documents are not semantically consistent  or
necessarily meaningful but we have to recognize what they are. one use
is contextual, where the terms used to name a document are homonyms of
documents in other contexts.  The Invoice and Freight Invoice and
Commercial Invoice are examples of this.  in these documents the use of
the term invoice is historical - the documents could be called something
else, they are used in a different context, but that is not common
business practice.  and, as stephen says, they do share some common
patterns.
in UBL, document name is primarily a facility to provide a synonym or
common business term that a community of use may use for the document.
For example, Delivery Note as the common name for a Despatch Advice
document.

document type is for a more formal definition for flavours of the
document that share the same patterns. an example is the Self Billed
Invoice. that is, a document that shares the same structure but is used
in a specific business process.

we have long debated the idea of a common 'header'in a document type
(and UN/CEFACT have the SBDH).  in reality, while there may be some
common patterns in the root elements of a document type, there are not
as many as these initiatives suggest.  the danger of creating these
structures is that they start to creep into the area of message handling
information.  for example, many of the elements stephen suggests
actually belong in the message envelope not in the document type
definitions.  i  favour keeping UBL as a business level document
language and not a message handling standard.

stephen.green@systml.co.uk wrote:
> What is more, it is 'standard' (EU Directives and presumably other
> regional requirements elsewhere) for an Invoice to include an
> Invoice Type as a piece of text or a code. This is the case even
> with a paper document. UBL merely reflects with XML what is defined
> for each document type by the business world(s). Except that
> occasionally the modeling of documents in XML throws up some useful
> patterns which help to make existing business features reusable and
> consistent across document types - as in this case where UBL could
> usefully add the entity of document type to every document without
> straying from the business requirements - call it rationalizing the
> requirements. Adding 'Note' to each document type is another example
> of this recognition of requirements / features common to document
> types in general, as is 'Name' I suppose. In my opinion. It might
> be useful to recognise a generic *abstract* document type (like
> the CC) that is a useful starting point for creating most new
> document types (not something which is represented using XML but
> something more abstract like the CC).
>
> ID 1..1
> OtherID 0..n (abstract of course, not actually called this)
> CopyIndicator 0..1
> UUID 0..1
> IssueDate 1..1
> IssueTime 0..1
> DocumentType 0..1
> DocumentTypeCode 0..1
> DocumentName 0..n (called just 'Name' in some documents)
> Description 0..n
> Note 0..n
> SenderParty 0..n
> ReceiverParty 0..n
> OtherParty  0..n
> Instruction 0..n (abstraction of various entities)
> DocumentLine 0..n
>
> and similarly for document line
>
> I think eDocs does this but I think it goes a bit further than
> I would by representing it more concretely.

begin:vcard
fn:Tim McGrath
n:McGrath;Tim
org:Document Engineering Services Ltd.