ubl message

Subject: Minutes of the Montreal UBL TC meeting, 9-13 August 2010

Montreal participants: please let me know if anything needs to be
added or corrected.  The Tuesday and Friday of the meeting (10 and
13 August) consisted only of work sessions.

Jon

MINUTES OF THE UBL TC MEETING IN MONTREAL, 9-13 AUGUST 2010

MONDAY MORNING 9 AUGUST -- OPENING PLENARY

ATTENDANCE

    In person:

       Jon Bosak (chair)
       Mavis Cournane
       G. Ken Holman
       Andy Schoka
       Ken Vaughn

    By phone:

       Oriol Bausą
       Peter Borresen
       Anne Hendry
       Tim McGrath (vice chair)
       Ole Madsen
       Zarella Rendon

SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS

    JB: Did not ask LSCs for reports this time because the
    translation work is on hold until release of UBL 2.1.

    UBL HUMAN INTERFACE SUBCOMMITTEE (GKH)

       No recent activity due to other obligations.  Three
       co-chairs have come and gone over the years with hopes of
       contributing on the input side only to withdraw after having
       higher priority obligations trigger their resignation.  The
       invoice layout for the UN Layout Key is complete, and HISC
       has input from Denmark for a handful of other layouts, but
       there has been no demand from the user community to act on
       that input.

       JB: This belongs to a set of activities that we can focus on
       following UBL 2.1 release.

          ACTION: PLB to contact PEPPOL and BII to request forward
          of HISC-relevant materials via the UBL comment list.

    UBL SMALL BUSINESS SUBCOMMITTEE (GKH)

       No recent activity and no apparent demand from the user
       community for a small business subset.

       Discussion: We could just point to the BII profile, though
       this is a government agency view rather than a small
       business view.

          ACTION: JB to contact Tradeshift to see whether there is
          commercial interest in developing an SBS.

    UBL ADOPTION SUBCOMMITTEE (GKH)

       Very little activity on ubl.xml.org.  A few posts have been
       made to the events, news, and forums, but most of the site
       has been inactive.  Hopefully the various section editors
       will have more time to contribute after UBL 2.1 is out for
       public review.  Here are the current sections and their
       section editors:

          UBL RESOURCES - for information regarding understanding
          and using the UBL standard, including specifications,
          white papers, presentations, etc.

              * Tony Coates
              * Oriol Bausą

          CUSTOMIZATIONS - for communities to post mini home-pages
          linking to their work to bring attention to their
          customized UBL deployments.

           * Karsten Tolle

          NEWS - timely information and announcements.

           * Tim McGrath

          EVENTS - a calendar of past and upcoming committee
          meetings and public events.

           * Jon Bosak

          PRODUCTS - commercial, open-source and free products and
          developer tools.

           * Roberto Cisternino

          SERVICES - commercial services.

           * Martin Forsberg

          FORUMS - for discussions and question/answer sessions.

           * Mike Grimley

          BLOGS - for journals related to UBL that are maintained
          on this site.

           * Asuman Dogac

          ACTION: Section editors to review, revise, and promote
          their sections after release of 2.1.

    UBL SCHEMA GENERATION TASK GROUP (GKH)

       The SGTG consists of Oriol Bausą, Tony Coates, and G. Ken
       Holman.  A release candidate for PRD1 has been created.
       Many thanks to Arianna Brutti for all her work on the models
       and to PSC and TSC chairs Peter Borresen and Andy Schoka for
       directing the updates to be made.

    UN/CEFACT REPORT (TM)

       There may be changes coming to the Core Component library.
       We should wait till after the UN/CEFACT Forum meeting in
       September to further determine our mapping strategy.

WEDNESDAY MORNING 11 AUGUST -- REVIEW OF NAMING CONVENTIONS

ATTENDANCE

    Jon Bosak (chair)
    Mavis Cournane
    G. Ken Holman
    Andy Schoka
    Ken Vaughn
    Tim McGrath (vice chair, by phone)

Background: see

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201008/msg00005.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201008/msg00007.html

Contributions this cycle show that not all contributors are clear
on some aspects of the UBL modeling strategy related to CCTS
concepts, in particular the construction of Dictionary Entry
Names.  These are modeling concepts, not schema concepts; thus
they are not included in the Naming and Design Rules, which only
govern schema generation, but they should be documented.  These
concepts are implied by the Customization Guidelines but not
stated explicitly.

    AGREED that we need to develop guidelines for contributors of
    new documents.

    ACTION: In the interval between PRD1 and PRD2, GKH and TM to
    create a Modeling Guidelines document for new submissions.  GKH
    will identify the problems and produce an initial draft; GKH
    and TM will revise together, then everyone will review.

    AGREED that we will not try to fix the 80+ DEN errors
    identified so far in PRD1 but rather take care of this in PRD2.

[The rest of this meeting was devoted to various editorial items
that have since been incorporated into the draft.]

    AGREED to move the Closing Plenary to Thursday morning.

THURSDAY MORNING 12 AUGUST -- CLOSING PLENARY

ATTENDANCE

    In person:

       Jon Bosak (chair)
       Mavis Cournane
       G. Ken Holman
       Andy Schoka

    By phone:

       Peter Borresen
       Anne Hendry
       Tim McGrath (vice chair)

2010 MEETING SCHEDULE

    SPRING MEETING IN ANKARA

       Proposed focus: UBL 2.1 CS and UBL 2.1 NDR.  We are also
       assuming a half-day visit with Turkish government agencies
       using UBL.

       Expected attendance: TM for sure; MC and GKH will try.  We
       expect about eight other attendees from Europe.

       Accommodations: TM verifies that rooms for visitors are
       available on campus (he has stayed there before).  We will
       request a room for 12 plus a breakout room.

          AGREED that TM will chair and will make further
          arrangements with Asuman.

          AGREED that this meeting will take the place of the
          meeting we've held in Montreal for the past several
          years.

       Schedule: We note European bank holidays Monday 2 May and
       Monday 30 May 2010.

          AGREED to suggest the weeks of 30 May and 6 June; if
          neither of those work for Asuman, we will request another
          week in June.

          ACTION: JB to inform Asuman of our preferred meeting
          dates and notify her that TM will be responsible for
          further arrangements.

    WINTER MEETING IN LIMA

       Due to the late change in schedule for the closing plenary,
       the group listed above was unable to meet by phone with UBL
       LATAMRSC chair Kenneth Bengtsson, who has recently relocated
       temporarily to Copenhagen.  The group instead proposed some
       tentative possible dates (the weeks of 31 January, 7
       February, and 14 February 2011) pending a meeting with
       Kenneth (see below) after noting that neither JB nor TM
       would be available to chair and that GKH would need to check
       on availability.

       ACTION: PLB to check with possible sponsors for funding.

EDOCREATOR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

    AGREED that we will add eDoCreator to the acknowledgements
    using information provided by Asuman and add some informative
    language about this in a methodology section.

COMMENT DISPOSITION

    The plenary discussed and disposed of comments on UBL 2.0 as
    follows:

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/201007/msg00000.html
    (Stephen Green, 29 July 2010)

       Disposition: Great idea.  We are implementing it in the form
       of Modeler's Guidelines and have assigned the task to GKH
       and TM.  We now also have a model checker developed by GKH
       that's being used to keep on top of compatibility issues;
       presumably backward compatibility is maintained through
       adherence to the rules, but now we have automated checking
       to back that up.

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200909/msg00000.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200909/msg00001.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200909/msg00003.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00000.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00001.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00002.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00003.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00004.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00005.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00006.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00007.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00008.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00009.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00010.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00011.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00012.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00013.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00014.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00015.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/201002/msg00000.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/201003/msg00000.html
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/201003/msg00001.html
    (Stephen Green, September 2009 to March 2010)

       Disposition: We note Stephen's comments on Test Assertion
       Language and are glad to see people using other OASIS
       Standards to verify our implementation.

       Regarding calculation models (comments of October 2009): We
       note that there are various implementations using various
       business rules; these would need to be harmonized.  The
       question is, should the TC try to codify them?  Many rules
       would be more applicable to a subset than the full
       specification, so the TC would have to arbitrate. This is
       like code lists in that it involves value constraints.  We
       think that in general, it's up to customizations to
       determine the calculation model. Some calculation rules
       belong to the semantics -- they say how we mean something to
       be used; but the place to specify semantics is in the
       definitions.

          AGREED that we should approach semantics via the
          definitions and let groups like the Test Assertion group
          interpret our definitions in a formal syntax.

          AGREED that a key task for PRD2 is making these
          definitions useful to people unfamiliar with UBL.

          AGREED that we need to move the Localization Subcommittee
          translation work on the definitions over to eDoCreator as
          the data entry tool.

          ACTION: JB to tell Asuman that we need to restrict access
          to the translations.

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200909/msg00002.html
    (Sarunas Joncas, 16 September 2009)

       Disposition: Recursive references appear throughout the UBL
       data model as a byproduct of the modeling process.  For
       example, Consignments refer to Shipments, and Shipments
       refer to Consignments.  The model is simply accommodating
       recursive references in the real world.  This is not a
       problem (though we keep getting questions about it).

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200811/msg00000.html
    (Daniel Toffetti, 7 November 2008)

       Disposition: We agree that the definitions contain many
       characters (for example, ellipses) that are outside of the
       ASCII set.  We will be cleaning these up following PRD1.

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200805/msg00000.html
    (Roberto Cisternino, 2 May 2008)

       Disposition: This has been fixed.

    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200611/msg00000.html
    (Marc de Graauw, 12 November 2006)

       Disposition: These comments are referred to the NDR Editors.

FIREFOX XML DISPLAY BUG

    The authoritative version of the UBL documentation uses the
    DocBook XML format for technical publishing.  The DocBook file
    (UBL-2.1.xml) and its associated stylesheets should be viewable
    in any standards-compliant web browser, but in reality this is
    currently known to work only with Internet Explorer.  It does
    not work with Firefox due to a namespace-handling bug.  We have
    learned (at second hand) that this bug has already been logged
    but is currently lacking a suitable test case.  We think we can
    help with that.

       ACTION: JB to follow up on this after PRD1 is out.

THANKS TO BALISAGE

    AGREED that the UBL Technical Committee thanks the organizers
    of the Balisage conference for their generosity in providing
    conference facilities for this meeting.

THURSDAY AFTERNOON DISCUSSION REGARDING THE MEETING IN LIMA

PARTICIPANTS: Kenneth Bengtsson (by phone), Jon Bosak (chair),
G. Ken Holman, Andy Schoka.

    AGREED that KB will pursue the idea of a conference in Lima
    (probably an eCommerce conference including UBL) and keep us
    informed of progress; we will consider the idea of an
    associated UBL TC meeting later depending on what comes out of
    that.