Subject: Minutes of the Montreal UBL TC meeting, 9-13 August 2010
Montreal participants: please let me know if anything needs to be added or corrected. The Tuesday and Friday of the meeting (10 and 13 August) consisted only of work sessions. Jon MINUTES OF THE UBL TC MEETING IN MONTREAL, 9-13 AUGUST 2010 ================================================================== MONDAY MORNING 9 AUGUST -- OPENING PLENARY ================================================================== ATTENDANCE In person: Jon Bosak (chair) Mavis Cournane G. Ken Holman Andy Schoka Ken Vaughn By phone: Oriol Bausą Peter Borresen Anne Hendry Tim McGrath (vice chair) Ole Madsen Zarella Rendon SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS JB: Did not ask LSCs for reports this time because the translation work is on hold until release of UBL 2.1. UBL HUMAN INTERFACE SUBCOMMITTEE (GKH) No recent activity due to other obligations. Three co-chairs have come and gone over the years with hopes of contributing on the input side only to withdraw after having higher priority obligations trigger their resignation. The invoice layout for the UN Layout Key is complete, and HISC has input from Denmark for a handful of other layouts, but there has been no demand from the user community to act on that input. JB: This belongs to a set of activities that we can focus on following UBL 2.1 release. ACTION: PLB to contact PEPPOL and BII to request forward of HISC-relevant materials via the UBL comment list. UBL SMALL BUSINESS SUBCOMMITTEE (GKH) No recent activity and no apparent demand from the user community for a small business subset. Discussion: We could just point to the BII profile, though this is a government agency view rather than a small business view. ACTION: JB to contact Tradeshift to see whether there is commercial interest in developing an SBS. UBL ADOPTION SUBCOMMITTEE (GKH) Very little activity on ubl.xml.org. A few posts have been made to the events, news, and forums, but most of the site has been inactive. Hopefully the various section editors will have more time to contribute after UBL 2.1 is out for public review. Here are the current sections and their section editors: UBL RESOURCES - for information regarding understanding and using the UBL standard, including specifications, white papers, presentations, etc. * Tony Coates * Oriol Bausą CUSTOMIZATIONS - for communities to post mini home-pages linking to their work to bring attention to their customized UBL deployments. * Karsten Tolle NEWS - timely information and announcements. * Tim McGrath EVENTS - a calendar of past and upcoming committee meetings and public events. * Jon Bosak PRODUCTS - commercial, open-source and free products and developer tools. * Roberto Cisternino SERVICES - commercial services. * Martin Forsberg FORUMS - for discussions and question/answer sessions. * Mike Grimley BLOGS - for journals related to UBL that are maintained on this site. * Asuman Dogac ACTION: Section editors to review, revise, and promote their sections after release of 2.1. UBL SCHEMA GENERATION TASK GROUP (GKH) The SGTG consists of Oriol Bausą, Tony Coates, and G. Ken Holman. A release candidate for PRD1 has been created. Many thanks to Arianna Brutti for all her work on the models and to PSC and TSC chairs Peter Borresen and Andy Schoka for directing the updates to be made. UN/CEFACT REPORT (TM) There may be changes coming to the Core Component library. We should wait till after the UN/CEFACT Forum meeting in September to further determine our mapping strategy. ================================================================== WEDNESDAY MORNING 11 AUGUST -- REVIEW OF NAMING CONVENTIONS ================================================================== ATTENDANCE Jon Bosak (chair) Mavis Cournane G. Ken Holman Andy Schoka Ken Vaughn Tim McGrath (vice chair, by phone) Background: see http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201008/msg00005.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201008/msg00007.html Contributions this cycle show that not all contributors are clear on some aspects of the UBL modeling strategy related to CCTS concepts, in particular the construction of Dictionary Entry Names. These are modeling concepts, not schema concepts; thus they are not included in the Naming and Design Rules, which only govern schema generation, but they should be documented. These concepts are implied by the Customization Guidelines but not stated explicitly. AGREED that we need to develop guidelines for contributors of new documents. ACTION: In the interval between PRD1 and PRD2, GKH and TM to create a Modeling Guidelines document for new submissions. GKH will identify the problems and produce an initial draft; GKH and TM will revise together, then everyone will review. AGREED that we will not try to fix the 80+ DEN errors identified so far in PRD1 but rather take care of this in PRD2. [The rest of this meeting was devoted to various editorial items that have since been incorporated into the draft.] AGREED to move the Closing Plenary to Thursday morning. ================================================================== THURSDAY MORNING 12 AUGUST -- CLOSING PLENARY ================================================================== ATTENDANCE In person: Jon Bosak (chair) Mavis Cournane G. Ken Holman Andy Schoka By phone: Peter Borresen Anne Hendry Tim McGrath (vice chair) 2010 MEETING SCHEDULE SPRING MEETING IN ANKARA Proposed focus: UBL 2.1 CS and UBL 2.1 NDR. We are also assuming a half-day visit with Turkish government agencies using UBL. Expected attendance: TM for sure; MC and GKH will try. We expect about eight other attendees from Europe. Accommodations: TM verifies that rooms for visitors are available on campus (he has stayed there before). We will request a room for 12 plus a breakout room. AGREED that TM will chair and will make further arrangements with Asuman. AGREED that this meeting will take the place of the meeting we've held in Montreal for the past several years. Schedule: We note European bank holidays Monday 2 May and Monday 30 May 2010. AGREED to suggest the weeks of 30 May and 6 June; if neither of those work for Asuman, we will request another week in June. ACTION: JB to inform Asuman of our preferred meeting dates and notify her that TM will be responsible for further arrangements. WINTER MEETING IN LIMA Due to the late change in schedule for the closing plenary, the group listed above was unable to meet by phone with UBL LATAMRSC chair Kenneth Bengtsson, who has recently relocated temporarily to Copenhagen. The group instead proposed some tentative possible dates (the weeks of 31 January, 7 February, and 14 February 2011) pending a meeting with Kenneth (see below) after noting that neither JB nor TM would be available to chair and that GKH would need to check on availability. ACTION: PLB to check with possible sponsors for funding. EDOCREATOR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AGREED that we will add eDoCreator to the acknowledgements using information provided by Asuman and add some informative language about this in a methodology section. COMMENT DISPOSITION The plenary discussed and disposed of comments on UBL 2.0 as follows: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/201007/msg00000.html (Stephen Green, 29 July 2010) Disposition: Great idea. We are implementing it in the form of Modeler's Guidelines and have assigned the task to GKH and TM. We now also have a model checker developed by GKH that's being used to keep on top of compatibility issues; presumably backward compatibility is maintained through adherence to the rules, but now we have automated checking to back that up. http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200909/msg00000.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200909/msg00001.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200909/msg00003.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00000.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00001.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00002.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00003.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00004.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00005.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00006.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00007.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00008.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00009.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00010.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00011.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00012.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00013.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00014.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200910/msg00015.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/201002/msg00000.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/201003/msg00000.html http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/201003/msg00001.html (Stephen Green, September 2009 to March 2010) Disposition: We note Stephen's comments on Test Assertion Language and are glad to see people using other OASIS Standards to verify our implementation. Regarding calculation models (comments of October 2009): We note that there are various implementations using various business rules; these would need to be harmonized. The question is, should the TC try to codify them? Many rules would be more applicable to a subset than the full specification, so the TC would have to arbitrate. This is like code lists in that it involves value constraints. We think that in general, it's up to customizations to determine the calculation model. Some calculation rules belong to the semantics -- they say how we mean something to be used; but the place to specify semantics is in the definitions. AGREED that we should approach semantics via the definitions and let groups like the Test Assertion group interpret our definitions in a formal syntax. AGREED that a key task for PRD2 is making these definitions useful to people unfamiliar with UBL. AGREED that we need to move the Localization Subcommittee translation work on the definitions over to eDoCreator as the data entry tool. ACTION: JB to tell Asuman that we need to restrict access to the translations. http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200909/msg00002.html (Sarunas Joncas, 16 September 2009) Disposition: Recursive references appear throughout the UBL data model as a byproduct of the modeling process. For example, Consignments refer to Shipments, and Shipments refer to Consignments. The model is simply accommodating recursive references in the real world. This is not a problem (though we keep getting questions about it). http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200811/msg00000.html (Daniel Toffetti, 7 November 2008) Disposition: We agree that the definitions contain many characters (for example, ellipses) that are outside of the ASCII set. We will be cleaning these up following PRD1. http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200805/msg00000.html (Roberto Cisternino, 2 May 2008) Disposition: This has been fixed. http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-comment/200611/msg00000.html (Marc de Graauw, 12 November 2006) Disposition: These comments are referred to the NDR Editors. FIREFOX XML DISPLAY BUG The authoritative version of the UBL documentation uses the DocBook XML format for technical publishing. The DocBook file (UBL-2.1.xml) and its associated stylesheets should be viewable in any standards-compliant web browser, but in reality this is currently known to work only with Internet Explorer. It does not work with Firefox due to a namespace-handling bug. We have learned (at second hand) that this bug has already been logged but is currently lacking a suitable test case. We think we can help with that. ACTION: JB to follow up on this after PRD1 is out. THANKS TO BALISAGE AGREED that the UBL Technical Committee thanks the organizers of the Balisage conference for their generosity in providing conference facilities for this meeting. ================================================================== THURSDAY AFTERNOON DISCUSSION REGARDING THE MEETING IN LIMA ================================================================== PARTICIPANTS: Kenneth Bengtsson (by phone), Jon Bosak (chair), G. Ken Holman, Andy Schoka. AGREED that KB will pursue the idea of a conference in Lima (probably an eCommerce conference including UBL) and keep us informed of progress; we will consider the idea of an associated UBL TC meeting later depending on what comes out of that.