Subject: RE: [wsbpel] CEFACT Liaison Review

Dear David,

It will certainly be very good and helpful if you are able to attend the
next F2F and give us a tutorial presentation on BCM as I tried to do for
the group this time on UN/CEFACT and its BCF ideas.  That could be very
helpful.

The BP catalogue work has migrated to the main group in UN/CEFACT with
is the International Trade and Business Processes group (TBG) - TBG 14 -
Business Process Analysis.  I am currently trying to get an update on
progress made be this group and any documents it has produced.

I think that the liaison with the BCF folk is important for three
reasons:

1)  It may have some slight impact on WSBPEL, and more likely WSBPEL may
have some slight impact on BCF.
Note that I do anticipate that the direct impact will be slight to
imperceptible!  So I do not think you should worry to much.

2)  Aspects of the BCF work may inform the WSBPEL work.  Here I am
thinking particularly of the standard business transaction and business
collaboration patterns work - which requires further elaboration on the
BCF side

3)  As I tried to highlight in my presentation, it can act as a doorway
for us to the folk in TBG who are working on the real business processes
- and yes that should help the use-case sub-group (of which I am also a
member, if a somewhat sleepy one at present!).

The term BCF was not in 'everyday' use when I was previously active in
UN/CEFACT (i.e. up to around December 2002), but certainly has now been
in use for a number of months.  The motion about the liaison to BCF
which this WSBPEL TC passed and that you kindly spoke in support of was
quite clear that it was to the BCF work which comes (or did until the
Seoul meeting anyway) mainly under the Business Process Working Group of
TMG.  I am sorry if you were under a misapprehension at the time.

I am still waiting to hear developments from the UN/CEFACT meeting last
week in Seoul, and significant new information may cause me to change my
stance, of course.  But until then I think we should continue with this
liaison as voted and agreed.  This is not to say that other liaisons are
not important - they may indeed be much more important, but others need
to judge that (i.e. let the messenger delver the message and do not
shoot them).

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher

Cohesions  (TM)

Business transaction management software for application coordination
www.choreology.com

Choreology Ltd., 68 Lombard Street, London EC3V 9LJ     UK
Tel: +44 (0) 870 7390076   Fax: +44 (0) 870 7390077  Mobile: +44 (0)
7801 948219
tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)