xliff-promotion message

Subject: Re: [xliff-promotion] XLIFF business perspective for LocWorld/ITS joint session

Hi Brian, hi David,

We create the wikis at the TC level and let the TC take it from there. You could certainly create a set of SC pages there. We don't set up separate SC or project wikis, jiras, etc. because we just don't have the bandwidth to stay on top of supporting that many separate stores.

Also, I noted the word "restricted" - if you mean "can only be seen by SC members" then no, we do not set up anything at OASIS that is hidden from public view. That is just a core OASIS principle. If you mean "only SC members can edit/post" then kinda - only TC members can modify the wiki, so SC pages could be touched by any TC member. You would have to restrict it to SC members via the honor principle. However, no one outside the TC could modify it.

Best,

/chet

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Schnabel, Bryan S <bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com> wrote:
David,

It seems like we should be able to create a separate P & L SC wiki. Chet, can you advise us?

Thanks,

Bryan
From: Dr. David Filip [David.Filip@ul.ie]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 4:26 AM
To: Kevin O'Donnell; Schnabel, Bryan S
Cc: xliff-promotion@lists.oasis-open.org

Thanks Kevin, let us work from this germ. See my inline additions/comments below
@Bryan, is there a way to have P&L SC restricted wiki?

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Kevin O'Donnell <kevinod@microsoft.com> wrote:

> ·         Use of XLIFF 2.0 facilitates easier tool/technology sharing
> (counterpoint to the disparity of tool support for XLIFF 1.2)
BECAUSE: XLIFF 2.0 core is much smaller, it shows the implementer what
is non-negotiable
YET: the modular approach and extensibility allow for handing complex
scenarios in a flexible AND interoperable way.

> ·         Less reliance on de facto standards produces level playing field
> for tool providers Making XLIFF more ubiquitous drives business
> opportunities; examples:
>
> o   SharePoint 2013 exporting data as XLIFF – drives enterprises to use
> standards; enables loc providers to deliver turnkey solutions
>
> o   Visual Studio add-in (Multilingual App Toolkit) – drives developers to
> use XLIFF as exchange format for app development

Libre Office - Within LT-Web, a German company works on the XLIFF+ITS
save in Libre Office
Drupal - Tectronix module, Cocomore XHTML->XLIFF

Base on the above:
XLIFF is becoming a mainstream format accessible to end users in
TRANSPARENT way.

> ·         As interoperability increases, the loc industry will mature and
> foster greater innovation and agility, built on top of robust frameworks
Stress on robust future proof framework
> ·         Interoperability (e.g. with XLIFF) promotes greater competition
> across loc industry – beneficial for all parties
Baseline extensible interchange standard allows for business process innovation

--

/chet

Primary: +1 973-996-2298
Mobile: +1 201-341-1393