Subject: Re: [xliff] Tool for validating XLIFF files released

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 08:27:11 -0600
Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com> wrote:

Hi Yves,

> A couple of early notes:
>
> === I get a message "* XLIFF namespace not declared." With the file Test01.xlf. The document has a namespace declaration, it's just
> using one without prefix. (<xliff version="1.2" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2">).
> Maybe the message could be changed to something less alarming (some users may thing they need to do something, even if the file
> passes the checks).

The file doesn't declare a schema location. It has to be added by the
program before parsing with validation enabled.

As you suggested, the displayed message should be changed to something
more clear.

Notice that for validation purposes, the specification clearly requests
to use the "schemaLocation" attribute of the XML Schema Instance
namespace.

> === It seems the validation of the root is not allowing a prefix.

The program expects XLIFF content to be in the default namespace,
without prefixes.

The specification says that XLIFF elements can be used with prefixes
when they are embedded in other vocalularies. It also says that element
from other namespaces can be included in XLIFF files if they have
prefixes. However, the specs don't say if prefixes are allowed in
non-embedded XLIFF files.

Certainly, it is not possible to use prefixes in XLIFF 1.0.

The TC should decide if "standalone" XLIFF files with prefixes in XLIFF
elements are valid.

BTW, while writing the program I noticed a few additional details that
need to be clarified in the specification document.

Rodolfo M. Raya <rmraya@maxprograms.com>
http://www.maxprograms.com