dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Discussion on outstanding issues for the core.

At 01:47 PM 5/12/2004 +0200, Juan Carlos Cruellas Ibarz wrote:
>1. Mmmm I am now thinking of those recommendations whose
>structure is defined in XML schema BUT not in DTD. There are, of course
>tools not extremely expensive that convert from one to the other...
>So, we have to choose between have to face situations where the
>server can not offer the service because there is no means for
>receiving a XML schema, and in consequence not provide the service
>even if it could do that, or make optional the capability of processing one
>of the forms so that we do not preclude developers to incorporate them.
>
>2. Yes, network connection... I would say that the service (not the protocolo)
>would be more dependant on the quality of network services, but all this
>story is relaying on the assumption that a network connection of a certain
>quality is something not so difficult to achieve....

For security reasons, though, you might want to limit your DSS server's
contact with the outside world.

With regards to both issues: for simplicity/compatibility I think it's best
to have 1 way of doing things, instead of, say, 4:
  - included Schema
  - referenced Schema
  - included DTD
  - referenced DTD

So I'd vote for just an included DTD or Schema, whichever we decide is more
convenient.

(actually, I'd vote for leaving things as-is, which can handle any DSIG in
a single server code path, but that's another story)..

Trevor