Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] FW: Differences between an operation and a BT

Hi,

It is a little bit late to jump in, but let me clarify whatI said during
the last call.

In summary, I completely agree with JJ and Dale in that BT and WS
operation are the different thing.
However, I'm unconfortable with OperationActivity because it promotes
low-level concept (WS ops) to first class component of BPSS.
I believe CPPA's WSDLBinding should provide a way to accommodate Web
services into ebXML.

I may have missed some important TC discussions, please let me know if any.

Detailed description follows:
-----
1) BT in general maps to multiple Web services operation.

I said "mapping from a business transaction to web service operations
could be defined" in the last call.
There, I didn't mean either "web service operation IS business
transaction" or "let us make WS ops BT", but did mean "business
transaction can be realized by *multiple* web service operations:
Request (and Response), and signals. BT maps to multiple WS operations
in general. I said "maps" out of the view that WS ops and BT live in
different layer of abstraction.
(This have already been articulated by JJ and Dale many times, I guess)

2) In certain cases, BT can be as simple as one WS operation, but still
they are diffferent things

As anders pointed out, WS operation can realize a BT. I agree.
	- trading partner may not need any signals to be sure state is aligned
	- WS operation can notify requester of successful state alignment by in
response.
But still, BT and WS operation are the different things.

3) By adding operation activity to BPSS, we may be promoting WS
operation to a first class component of BPSS.

I believe WS operations lives in lower layer than BCs and BTs.
If we put WS ops at the same level as BPSS components, users could abuse
operation activities to write miserably low level description of
business process --- as done with other choreography languages. Uses
could describe the logically same processes quite differently just
because one is implemented with ebMS and the other with WS. What if one
uses RosettaNet payload over WS, with some additional "signal"
operations? I like to have one BPSS description with different
collaboration-to-messaging bindings.

5) Binding in CPA can do the job

Here's a BPSS component hierarchy:

BC -> BT -> BusinessAction -> DocumentEnvelope -> BusinessDocument

DocumentEnvelop maps to message exchange with ebMS.
Since WS ops are lower abstraction than ebMS, it is below DocumentEnvelope.

If we accept WS ops as a (component of) realization of BT, we can simply
rely on CPPA's WSDLBinding work.
If we want some more WSDL support within BPSS, DocumentEnvelope is the
place to extend, I believe.
(I don't have concrete proposal of this extension, but I could make one
if this makes sense).

Regards,
Kenji