Subject: Re: [huml-comment] RE: Human Markup Language 1.0 considered harmfulREvisited

Rexx Wrote:
>I have refrained from going into particulars of my own pet project
>for HumanML:  Multi-User, Interactive, Real-Time, 3D-Virtual-Reality
>Environments with standard VRML/X3D/H-Anim representations of humans
>(avatars) capable of standards-based emotions and gestures in
>addition to the other basic human behaviors of walking, running, etc.

I don't mean to lurk and let everyone else do the hard work of defining what
it all means, but my interests are also in the above realm. That is why I
joined this list. I look forward to contributing/creating "standards-based
emotions and gestures" once I find out what possibilities are being
considered.

One thought I had was creating h-anim gestures that mirror common emoticons.
We already have a base set of 8 that are typically used.
hi, bye, yes, no, not, smile, frown, & hey.

There are, of course, many variations on expressing these simple actions.
Some avatars require their own unique set of gestures. e.g. My Frankenstein
walks with arms outstretched, and most folks don't do that. His "No" is more
like a "Fire Bad!" gesture. There are many ways of saying "hi", though this
is typically an arm wave of some sort.

Avatar Studio avatars are not h-anim compliant (they were ahead of the spec
at the time), so there may be a benefit of collecting a suite of those as a
separate resource.

So, I don't mind if the groups strays into this topic, in fact I welcome it.

---
I think the serious stuff is funny, but I am serious about the funny stuff.
Mr. Phillip Sand Hansel II
http://philliphansel.com
ICQ# 28328319