Subject: Questions and Answers - Asterisks, Attendance, and Issues Lists

First, the asterisk. This is the result of something that seemed like a
simple solution and turned into a nightmare. Way back in 2005 OASIS
instituted a new Membership Agreement along with a new IPR Policy. As each
member renewed, they had to execute the new Membership Agreement. Coupled
with that activity, as a TC reached a point where 50% of their membership
had signed the new Membership Agreement, they could start to transition to
one of the new IPR Modes. So, in order to identify which companies had
signed the new agreement, an asterisk was placed next to the company name as
each organization renewed. Of course individual members also had to execute
the new membership agreement and therefore gained an asterisk. Now
fast-forward to the summer of 2007. Each TC had to transition to the new IPR
modes by 15 April 2007. At that point everyone had executed the new
membership agreement. Asterisks weren't assigned to new members since they
weren't needed for tracking purposes. As members renewed, we started to
remove the asterisks. But then we noticed another problem - all of a sudden
individuals were showing up twice in the attendance records -- the system
apparently thought that BEA* was different from BEA, or Smith* was different
from Smith*. How to solve the problem? Well, if we could do a global search
and replace we could get rid of all of them at once. While the attendance
might look odd for a couple of meetings, it would soon straighten itself
out. As we dug further into the mysteries of Kavi, it was clear that there
was no way we could ensure that we wouldn't be causing greater harm than
good. So the asterisks remain. Their meaning? Absolutely nothing.

Second, recording attendance. I'm actually surprised that the TC doesn't do
this (no offense intended to the Chairs/Secretaries). I thought all of them
did. I highly recommend it. A simple template for meeting minutes could list
all members and then a notation indicating who did/didn't attend beside it
(like an asterisk ;-). Some TC minutes also record who gained/lost voting
rights at the end of the meeting. This also allows the members to make sure
their attendance (or lack thereof) was properly recorded.

I'm not sure what the third question is - comment tracking? Oh yes. Issues
list. Our IT staff consists of two individuals - a systems administrator and
a webmaster. Both of these individuals are constantly exceeding our
expectations, but they're still just two individuals. We do have options for
external hosting as long as the OASIS requirements are met (and each request
must be approved by the TC Administrator). Several TCs are using a JIRA
system that is hosted elsewhere and I was hoping that they would allow us to
use their SAAS version for free but they differentiate between "open source"
and "open standards." We don't have the infrastructure to install, support
and maintain an issues tracking system ourselves right now; however, were
someone willing and able to host this I'd be happy to work through the OASIS
requirements with them.

It should be noted that while a number of TCs use a variety of systems for
issues tracking, no TC has ever anticipated the volume of "comments" that
are anticipated to be received by the new requirements SC. I'm open to any
and all suggestions!

(For instance, how about an XForms app where the commenter fills out the
form and an XSLT takes the relevant information and produces a report
similar to the TCs that are currently using XML to track their issues lists?
Anyone volunteering to build it?)

Regards,

Mary