oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Confused about the purpose of the Interop Profile

This profile is not in spirit or actuality equivalent to PDF/A for many reasons. PDF/A is a vertical developed by and for a very specific market of PDF users, most notably national archivists, courts and DoD. The goal of PDF/A-1 was to preserve a fixed representation of a file that would be identical to the document that was saved today whether that document was opened 1, 2, 5, 10 or 50 years down the road in a conforming reader. PDF/A-1 was never a "profile" of the full standard, because a full international PDF standard did not exist at the time PDF/A was created.

Some of the confusion may stem from the way PDF/A-1 has been coopted since it was standardized - because PDF/A-1 was the only non-commercial print PDF standard for more than 3 years, many governments, institutions, and corporations began mandating its use for everything PDF and it now has a huge coalition of support driving its adoption. Added to that is the fact that introducing the full international PDF standard after several other vertical PDF standards were created has, as Rob suggested, created a great deal of confusion in the marketplace. No one except a few implementers has a clue what to do with ISO 32000-1, the full international PDF standard adopted in late 2008.

(Purely as an aside, those of us working on the PDF-related standards are well aware of the confusion and potential confusion of the whole alphabet soup. Educational efforts are underway, and some consolidation is expected in the future.)

Back to the Interop Profile. It would be perfectly appropriate to have a profile that, for instance, prohibited the embedding of macros in the interest of enhancing portability, if the profile was for a vertical that targeted portability or archiving. Or so says the charter of OIC and so seem to say the explanations Rob and Bart have provided. That does not appear, however, to be what this profile under discussion does. This profile seems to broadly target interoperability among office suites.

Interoperability is great. Advocating it is the basic charter of this TC. However, the charter also specifically limits creating normative profiles to verticals and horizontals. The entirety of the market, by definition, is neither of those.  I think the OIC should be publishing these as informative recommendations to support interoperability, and the items in this profile should be pushed to the ODF TC to deal with if they haven't already. Bart's wish list should be achievable with something more in keeping with a technical report or best practices guide. Having something like that for implementers to use when questions arise automatically confers a certain authority when it comes from the TC.

Cherie

-----Original Message-----
From: Hanssens Bart [mailto:Bart.Hanssens@fedict.be]
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 11:48 AM
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org; Cherie Ekholm
Cc: oic@lists.oasis-open.org

Well, I don't mind calling it a "best practice guide" if the members of this TC would be more at ease with it, rather than Profile...

However, I do believe that we should use conformance clauses, since at some practical level, implementers would want to test if their products is in line with this interop "thingie". If not, we end up (*again*) running in circles because there is no specification / thingie that is somehow "normative", or has practical statements

In the ideal world, every implementer would have extremely detailed implementers notes and one could derive a common denominator from them + start discussing the differences an agree on a solution within this TC.
But this world isn't Utopia...

Personally, I prefer one big document (which would still leave a large degree of freedom, since it - for instance - won't require implementers to support tables, but if they do, they should do it like outlined in X, Y and Z), rather than a bunch of separate "interoperability notes" (similar to CERT advisories).

If implementers would prefer the latter, fine with me...

In short, I want:

* a "thingie" that is practical
* fast to update
* one should be able to derive tests from it
* has some degree of authority (like community draft / spec)

Bart