Subject: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 16 December 2009

> DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 16 December 2009
>
> The DocBook Technical Committee met on Wednesday, 16 December 2009
> at 01:00p EDT (10:00a PDT, 17:00GMT, 18:00BST, 19:00CEST, 02:00JST+,
> 022:30p India+) for 90 minutes.
>
> Agenda
>
> 1. Roll call

Regrets: Bob

Present: Norm, Scott, Larry, Dick, Jirka, Paul

> 2. Accepting the minutes [1] of the previous meeting.

Accepted.

> 3. Next meeting: 20 January 2010

No regrets heard.

> 4. Review of the agenda.

Accepted.

> 5. Review of open action items
>
>  a. Gershon to develop a reltable example.

Continued.

>  b. Larry to publish assembly schema with last month's changes.

Completed.

>  c. Norm to prepare proposal for full and simplified assembly
> versions.

Completed.

>  d.  Bob to organize a meeting to discuss linking in modular DocBook.

Completed.

>  e.  Norm to develop a proposal for maintaining the DocBook websites.

Continued.

>  f.  Norm to develop schema changes for inlines for discussion at
>      next meeting.

Completed.

http://markmail.org/message/5hb3kxrf3xggc3vi or
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200911/msg00036.html

>  g. Norm to develop a list of use cases and requirements for
> transclusion.

Completed.

>  h.  Bob to add agenda item for transclusion to next meeting.

Completed.

>  i.  Norm to better document indexterm placement.

Completed.

> 6.  Status of new edition of DocBook: The Definitive Guide

Technical review ongoing; plan to submit the final manuscript to O'Reilly
in mid-January.

> 7.  Publishing Subcommittee report.

Nothing to report this month.

> 8.  eLearning Subcommittee report.

Scott: We held the kickoff meeting. One additional prospective member
showed up. Plans to begin in earnest in the beginning of the new year.

> 9.  Linking in modular DocBook.

See Bob's minutes from yesterday. Inline relatedlinks and
relationships from assemblies are two different ways of expressing the
same thing. Documentation and implementation stratgies TBD.

> 10.  Transclusion in DocBook.

See

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200912/msg00008.html

Norm: I started the thread only a few days ago, perhaps we wait a bit
longer.

Larry: We implemented a transclusion element because XInclude wasn't
stable at the time. We added the ability to specify a source grammar
to make it easier to pull together things from different grammars. I
don't know if that's a requirement, but it made things easier for us.

Norm: That seems a little heavyweight for a transclusion element, but
I can see how it would be useful.

Revisit next month after the thread has cooked a bit longer.

(Bob, please leave this on the agenda next month.)

> 11.  DocBook assembly schema.

Norm's documentation attempts:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200911/msg00017.html

Larry's latest:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200912/msg00019.html

Larry's summary:

 - Added the 'suppress' attribute to output
 - Added chunking control
 - Added name attribute to transform element
 - Added transform attribute to the output element
 - Added a transform attribute and left the grammar attribute there
 - Removed the word output from all of the attribute names on the output element

Norm attempts to summarize his document.

Norm proposes that the output of an assembly is a single document.

Larry pushes back, suggesting that the output is a document or
collection of documents.

Norm and Larry clearly don't agree completely on the high-level
processing expectations. While Norm wants the assembly to be
output-agnostic, Larry has quite different processing expectations
depending on what sort of output is needed.

ACTION: Larry to write up his view of the processing expectations of a
structure element and how it has to work to satisfy his needs.

> 12.  Review of Requests for Enhancement
>
>    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):
>
>      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&;;
>      group_id=21935&atid=384107&aid=XXXX
>
>    RFEs to revisit for 6.0
>      1907003  biblioid content model too broad
>
>    RFEs to be considered
>      1679665  Add better support for modular documentation
>      2770858  Add limited emphasis to ubiquitous inlines

Norm describes the proposal.

Proposal: Accept the proposal

Accepted.

>      2791288  add quote to corpauthor and gui elements

ACTION: Norm to review corpauthor in this context. Does 2770858 apply
to it?

>      2820190  add a topic element
>      2820947  Ability to transclude text
>      2821653  indexterms in footnotes

Didn't we agree to 653 last month? What was the result of the experiments.

>      2900425  Remove common linking attributes from indexterm

Proposal: Remove linking attributes from indexterms?

Accepted.

>      2900458  Make xml:id required on start-of-range indexterms

Proposal: Make the xml:id attribute required, if it doesn't upset the validator

Accepted.

>      2907124  Allow personal name components directly in bibliomset

Proposal: Make them available directly.

Accepted.

>      2907125  Remark should allow all inlines

Proposal: Allow all inlines in remark.

Accepted.

>      2907126  msgaud/level/orig in simplemsgentry are spelled wrong

Proposal: Fix the bug.

Norm: In 5.1 or 6.0?

Larry: One option is to add them with the correct spellings in 5.1 and
make removing the broken spellings backwards incompatible in 6.0.

Proposal: Add the correct spellings in 5.1, remove the broken ones in 6.0.

Accepted.

>      2907129  orgname in address

Proposal: Add orgname to address.

Accepted.

>      2907131  SImpleSect in Colophon?

Proposal: Add simplesect to Colophon

Accepted.

> [1]
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-tc/200911/msg00014.html

Any other business

ACTION: Bob to add discussion of indexterm in footnote to the agenda
for next month. (So we can be sure we come to closure).

None heard.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | "Abstraction, abstraction and
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | abstraction." This is the answer
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | to the question, "What are the