Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Okay, why?

/ David Johnson <david@usermode.org> was heard to say:
| I don't want to do into details, since this ain't the -apps list,
| but suffice it to say that the concept of resolving all public
| identifiers over the internet each and every time a document is
| processed, is completely beyond me. And I'm behind a firewall to
| boot. What were the XML guys thinking?

They were trying to keep things simple. What you should be asking is,
what were the implementors thinking? Why isn't some sort of resolution
mechanism absolutely standard in every implementation?

I have no idea. I couldn't live without it.

As part of my work on the OASIS Entity Resolution TC, I've been working
on some code to do this and hope to release it Real Soon Now.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | If brute force doesn't work, maybe
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | you're not using enough brute
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | force.