Subject: Re: [docbook] RDFa Lite inside <info>

> I'd suggest both are (eventually) for human readers, and both are 'about'
> the document?

Thatâs fair. There probably isnât a general statement that I could make
about metadata or annotations for which someone couldnât say âyes, butââ
and suggest an alternate view.

> Graffitti? Redactions? Editorial notes? Study notes? All annotations.
> That's the broader interpretation I put on annotations now.

Fine by me. I think we may be finding it all a bit slippery partly
because the English language word âannotationâ is very broad. According
to Merriam-Webster, âa note added by way of comment or explanation.â

By that definition any aside, digression, note, footnote, quotation,
sidebar, figure, example, table, revision, title, annotation, or other
element might be described as âan annotation.â

DocBook <annotation> markup is a facility for making out-of-line
comments about a text. You can point from the annotation to the
annotated text, or from the annotated text to the annotation. What you
put *in* the annotations and what the annotations *mean* in the context
of *your document* is up to you!

My intuitive feeling about them is that theyâre something like
footnotes, but maybe not intended for the traditional presentation of
footnotes or maybe made by a third party and so not part of the actual
document, but about it.

Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
https://nwalsh.com/