Subject: Re: [office-accessibility] Fwd: [office] OpenDocument v1.1/v1.2compatibility

Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 27/10/06, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
>

>> > I don't think there is any information in the xml to say which
>> schema it
>> > is valid to (Or I couldn't find any). I think this is needed for xml
>> > processing.
>>
>> There actually is the version attribute described in section 2.1.2.
>
> <define name="office-document-common-attrs" combine="interleave">
>     <optional>
>         <attribute name="office:version">
>             <ref name="string"/>
>         </attribute>
>     </optional>
> </define>
>
> I.e. it is optional.

Yes. That's correct.

>> You need it if you want to validate documents against the schema of a
>> specific version, that's true. You should not need it most other cases.
>
> I beg to differ on that. Any xml processing will need to know what
> elements attributes to expect.

I disagree. An ODF 1.1 implementation for instance does not need to know
whether it processes and ODF 1.1 or an ODF 1.0 document, because the
only difference between the two is that an ODF 1.1 document may contain
some elements and attributes that do not exist in ODF 1.0. Or have I
overseen something?

>> > If it is added, will your proposal still be valid?
>>
>> Yes, it will. But maybe there is some misunderstanding. My proposal is
>> not a proposal for defining conformance in OpenDocument v1.2 itself. But
>> it is a proposal for guidelines which extensions we should accept for
>> ODF 1.2, and which require a deeper discussion before we know whether we
>> accept them for ODF 1.2.
>
> The proposal could create a lot of confusion.

I don't think my proposal can create confusion. What may create
confusion is that documents may not contain a version number. But that's
not related to my proposal.

> When I open a document I will be unable to tell if it is 1.1 or 1.2
> (unless the implementation decides to include the version).
>
> How do I request a feature please?

You request it at the TC's mailing list, or by joining a TC call.

Best regards.

Michael